Sign in to follow this  

Master's in Biomedical Sciences

As someone who has a noncompetitive GPA, I am considering pursuing a Master's in Biomedical Sciences to show programs that my study habits and academic performance has most certainly improved. 

-Does anyone know if grades received in a master's program help boost the overall GPA?

- Would the science courses taken at a grad level count for PA school pre-reqs?

-Any tips/advice from those that have taken this route?

I appreciate you taking the time to help 🙂

@Jaykayleen there are a bunch of programs in each state, personally i'm applying to the UNTHSC M.S in Medical Sciences program, among others in TX. Usually these programs are created for students with non-competitive GPA's and need help boosting their grades before going to professional school. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By singerdancer
      Hi, 
      I will be applying to the 2020-21 cycle this upcoming April. As i was scrolling through the CASPA site, I noticed the section about conduct violations at ones university. My freshman year I received a charge from my school (not a misdemeanor, and nothing with the police) for leaving a bottle of alcohol under my bed before thanksgiving break. My RA found it and I received an alcohol charge with the campus. The punishment for this was a $50 fine and I had to take a two hour alcohol course about underage drinking. Basically, Im super stressed about this. Even though this was four years ago and I have plenty of other things going for me on my application, I am concerned that this will prevent me from getting any interviews/acceptances. I feel like I will be placed in a pool with everyone else who checks "yes" to this box, and will make it harder for me to be accepted. Any advice on this matter or past experiences would be gratefully appreciated 🙂 
    • By AspiringFuturePA2022
      I am applying this April and I’m very nervous. Can anyone give any tips and guidance about anything in regard to CASPA?
    • By Henphrix
      Good Morning,
      Currently, I am on my last semester of undergrad. I currently have my SEAL challenge contract and have a spot to go to BUD/S.
      I want to be a Physician Assistant in the future but prefer serving my country as a SOCM. Once I am old and cant go anymore I will apply to go to Physician Assistant School.
      My goal was set on SEAL and be a medic but I just heard about SARC and they do more medicine. Plus more people who come out of SARC have a high chance of going into Physician Assistant school, from what I've been told. I never heard of a SEAL being a PA. 
      My question is simple. I want to do SOCM before applying to be a PA. My GPA is okay it is a 3.0, trying to get 3.1-3.2 for my last semester, If I do SARC will it give me a boost into PA school or not? 
      If not I will stick to my SEAL contract. If it does I will go ahead and try to go for an HM-ATF.
      (I have not taken the GRE yet was planning to do it later down the road. Plus I want to keep taking college classes to boost my GPA in the future)
    • By hy0914
      Hello All pre-PA students! We know how difficult the application process for PA school can be, and we are hoping to make it just a little easier. 
      Loma Linda University is holding their 3rd annula pre-PA conference to help prospective students learn more about the profession, application process, and our program. 
      Spend the day with Faculty, local PAs, alumni, and current students! Our main speaker for this event is Tony Adkins PA-C or more popularly known as the "dancing doc".  We will be hosting ultrasound and intubation skills labs as well as several information sessions pertaining to writing your personal statement, how to ace the interview, general Q&A, and profession information.  The goal is to show you how to become a competitive applicant!
      DON'T MISS THIS AMAZING OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN ABOUT APPLYING TO PA SCHOOL!
      LLU PA Program Admission Representatives will be in attendance. Past attendees have been accepted to LLU's PA program. Refreshments will be provided, and there will also be raffle prizes given away every hour! 
      Visit our eventbrite page for additional information and tickets! 
      https://www.eventbrite.com/e/llus-3rd-annual-pre-pa-conference-registration-85925681025
    • By PAshleyS
      Hi, everyone!
      What are your thoughts on applying to programs with a ARC-PA probationary accreditation status (i.e., "Accreditation-Probation")?
      I'm a first-time applicant, and a couple schools that I have my eye on currently have probationary statuses (Johnson & Wales University; Monmouth University). I was wondering if it's worth applying to said schools, especially to ones that have had a probationary status for more than two years. 
      Although these schools are still considered accredited, is it safe to apply to & then attend these schools? Do these schools prepare students to become competent & trustworthy healthcare professionals? Are these schools worth the debt? My concern is enrolling in a school with probationary accreditation and graduating as a sub par PA-C, but those are just my uncertain sentiments at the moment. 
      Moreover, I've read that applying to these schools may be advantageous to some who aren't considered "strong applicants" (e.g., average grades/GRE). On the other hand, I've seen "strong applicants" display their admiration & loyalty to these schools here on PA Forum. I'm confused! Let's open up the discussion!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More