Urgent/Primary care to EMED

I'm having a hard time finding an emed position as a new grad. So far, I've gotten offers in primary and urgent care. All of them offer a short 2 weeks to 1 month shadowing period or up to when I am "comfortable" before I start seeing patients as a solo provider ... which I know isn't the most ideal as a new grad. I'm still trying to find an emed position, but the search seems bleak in my area.

When it comes down to it, does experience in urgent care or primary care offer a better transition and chance to get into emed?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 5:47 PM, EMEDPA said:

urgent care yes, primary care not really. your best bet is to consider an EM residency/fellowship if that is an option for you.

I'm thinking of accepting the urgent care offer since I'm still coming up empty with my search and I'm itching to start working again. Also realized I missed the deadline for most EMED residencies for the upcoming cycle. If I work urgent care 6mos to a year, do you think I'll still have a shot at getting into a residency? Or do these slots usually go to new grads straight outta school? 

On 12/28/2019 at 10:50 AM, dphy83 said:

Any hospitalist positions nearby? That would also provide good experience.

Plenty of hospitalist and inpatient subspecialty positions but competition's tough here. The job recruiters call the hospital's HR's resume/application pile the "black hole." Usually I apply on their website, maybe get an interview and then never hear back.