CNA Advice

New to this forum so sorry if this has already been discussed but I was thinking about getting my CNA certification this summer in a 3 week program through Blossom and then hopefully working as a part-time CNA during my senior year of undergraduate school to start getting some healthcare experience.

I was wondering if there are any CNA's or former CNA's out there that think it would be too hectic to manage a busy senior year with a part-time CNA or if you think its definitely possible to accomplish?

Some background, I am 21 and finishing my junior year pursuing a Bachelor's of Science in Clinical Physiology. My transfer credit has kind of made it confusing for me to figure out my true GPA, but cumulative its about a 3.6. During my senior year I am also going to be taking 2 EMT-B classes through the university and was hoping that the CNA experience during my senior year would help me land an EMT-B job after I graduate.

Thanks for any advice

Go for it. I'm working part-time (24 hours/week) as a patient care technician. As for landing a job as an EMT eventually, are there any ambulance corps around where you live that let people with just a BLS cert run? The ambulance I volunteer with lets people without an EMT cert (who are intending to complete an EMT class and become certified) run just to get a grasp of the overall experience as an EMT, it's more of shadowing (you get to do small stuff here and there, due to liability/privacy reasons) but it certainly helps you build connections. Good luck!

I don't think so but then again I'm not really sure how to find out, I live in a college town that doesn't have much stuff except every fast food place you can think of. That would be a great experience though should I'll give the local hospital a call and ask if they take EMT volunteers that are only BLS & CPR certified and not yet EMT certified.

Thanks for the advice

Archived