General Surgery Renegotiation

Looking for some thoughts.

Two years out of school, working for the same practice.  Currently I am paid $98k to work Mon-Fri about 45 hours per week, inpatient primarily including two half day shifts in the wound center each week.  I also cover, voluntarily, every other weekend for a 20% stipend over my daily rate while my wife is in nursing school (and now pregnant with our first).  It works out to ~$115k/yr, plus a not guaranteed a 10% base salary bonus yearly.  This all balances out to around $125k/yr

The docs have come to really like having me on the weekends.  We are hiring another PA with a boatload of experience, and with there soon to be two of us, they have soft floated the idea to me of making the weekend thing a part of the job instead of voluntary. They have said that they would give me two days off during the week I am working the weekend to "offset things".  Obviously this isn't going to fly as is.

We have a great relationship, I like where I work, but 2 weekends a month is a lot to ask.  I was thinking that my basement for taking this schedule change would be a base salary of $125k including the 2 week days off per two week pay period.  Working 12 days on, two days off is not happening as soon as my wife is working again.

Thoughts?  Am I undervaluing my weekend time here? 

1 hour ago, Mayamom said:

Having days off during the week is a wonderful thing but 12 days straight with a new baby would be hard.  

Agreed. 12 on 2 off is what I am doing now, but I am not obligated to do it. I can choose to not work or work any weekend I like with no expectation that I am available. Their idea is to make it an expectation and in exchange give me two week days off. They are aware that my plan has always been to stop working weekends once my wife is done with nursing school, which now also roughly coincides with the birth of our baby. My bargaining position is that I’ll keep working every other weekend with two week days per two week pay period off and not take a pay cut from what I am earning now working 12 on 2 off. 

Functionally my acceptable position is asking for a 25% raise to work fewer hours than I do currently but shift two work days to a weekend days every pay period. I am just not sure if I am undervaluing that time or being ridiculous with my position, so I am looking for 3rd party views. If they tried to hire someone with 2 years experience to work this sschedule I think this is roughly what they’d have to pay to make the job attractive, if not more. But I also tend to think rather highly of my contributions 🙂

Edited by anewconvert