Duke vs. Newer Program Closer to Home

Hey y'all! 

I'm currently stuck in the happiest dilemma and was hoping to receive some opinions from this forum. I've been fortunate enough to decide between two programs.

Program A: Duke

Pros:

-great reputation, established program with a lot of uncommon elective rotations I'm interested in (interventional radiology, plastic surgery, integrative health, etc)

-cheaper cost of living

-faculty and students seem nice, but didn't necessarily click with them

-given that this is the oldest program where the profession originated, I'm sure the quality of the education and support will be superior to a newer program

Cons:

-I'm from California, and will have to move for the first time in my life to the opposite side of the country by myself (no family or friends nearby)

-more expensive ($87,036 for 2 years)

-not as impressed with the facilities, and many of them are on the med school campus and not onsite

-large class (I'm an introvert, so concerned about making friends)

-most likely will leave the area after I graduate

Program B: newer program 

Pros:

-1.5hr drive from home, meaning I'll have a support system of family and friends; weather will be nice; similar culture

-cheaper ($75,616 for 2 years)

-I may want to practice here, although I'm not completely sure

-newer program, so all the facilities are state-of-the-art and new

-smaller cohort (50 people), meaning I'll be able to get to know my class better

Cons:

-provisionally accredited, so may still have some kinks to smooth out

-not affiliated with a medical center

-higher cost of living

My primary concerns are regarding tuition, location, and class size. Many people on this forum say to choose a school for the location and tuition over other things, but I still feel dumb for passing up Duke since it's, well, Duke. I do believe that the name and the connections I foster will be able to help me land my first job regardless where I decided to live, and make the beginning of my career easier. I also know I will have an easier time psychologically if I go to the newer program since I won't have to transition so drastically. But I also think I should just suck it up and make the move. How much impact did family/friends have on surviving PA school for you? Especially if you went to a larger program where it's easier to get lost in the numbers and harder to make friends? As a somewhat quiet and introverted person, I'm concerned about whether I can succeed in a completely new environment by myself. I would really appreciate your opinions and what your experiences were if you went through a similar situation, Thanks!

Edited by rachll
Title change

21 hours ago, rachll said:

Hey y'all! 

I'm currently stuck in the happiest dilemma and was hoping to receive some opinions from this forum. I've been fortunate enough to decide between two programs.

Program A: Duke

Pros:

-great reputation, established program with a lot of uncommon elective rotations I'm interested in (interventional radiology, plastic surgery, integrative health, etc)

-cheaper cost of living

-faculty and students seem nice, but didn't necessarily click with them

-given that this is the oldest program where the profession originated, I'm sure the quality of the education and support will be superior to a newer program

Cons:

-I'm from California, and will have to move for the first time in my life to the opposite side of the country by myself (no family or friends nearby)

-more expensive ($87,036 for 2 years)

-not as impressed with the facilities, and many of them are on the med school campus and not onsite

-large class (I'm an introvert, so concerned about making friends)

-most likely will leave the area after I graduate

Program B: newer program 

Pros:

-1.5hr drive from home, meaning I'll have a support system of family and friends; weather will be nice; similar culture

-cheaper ($75,616 for 2 years)

-I may want to practice here, although I'm not completely sure

-newer program, so all the facilities are state-of-the-art and new

-smaller cohort (50 people), meaning I'll be able to get to know my class better

Cons:

-provisionally accredited, so may still have some kinks to smooth out

-not affiliated with a medical center

-higher cost of living

My primary concerns are regarding tuition, location, and class size. Many people on this forum say to choose a school for the location and tuition over other things, but I still feel dumb for passing up Duke since it's, well, Duke. I do believe that the name and the connections I foster will be able to help me land my first job regardless where I decided to live, and make the beginning of my career easier. I also know I will have an easier time psychologically if I go to the newer program since I won't have to transition so drastically. But I also think I should just suck it up and make the move. How much impact did family/friends have on surviving PA school for you? Especially if you went to a larger program where it's easier to get lost in the numbers and harder to make friends? As a somewhat quiet and introverted person, I'm concerned about whether I can succeed in a completely new environment by myself. I would really appreciate your opinions and what your experiences were if you went through a similar situation, Thanks!

Whats the second school? People always seem to say that the name doesn't matter as long as you pass the PANCE. From a very basic standpoint I would agree. However, if you are interested in more niche specialties, clinical opportunities and job prospects are probably higher by going to a place like Duke, not necessarily because of the name specifically, but because of the opportunities that they can generate. You kind of mention this. With a newer program you also have a limited set of statistics to go off of. While their pass rates over the last x years may be high, it may not mean as much as the training/teaching at a place like Duke and their pass rates. You also mention it isnt connected to a medical center. Does that mean there isnt an attached medical school? Or does it mean that they dont have an associated hospital. A newer program could have trouble establishing meaningful clinical rotations, especially if they dont have a direct connection to a hospital, let alone a teaching hospital. Not always an issue, but just something to think about. When you interviewed did anyone ask about the quality of the clinical rotations? Also the fact that Duke is connected to the med school would be a benefit in my mind. You may get the opportunity (I assume, denied my interview here) to do things/learn things with the medical students. That is great experience for beginning to build the interpersonal skills with future health team members and seeing where the nursing/medical/PAs fit into that team. 

I feel like if you want to just become a PA and just practice as one, then sure, choose the cheaper school thats closer to home that will allow you to get certified and go work. But if you have any interest in doing more than just practicing as a PA, like getting involved in hospital leadership, health policy, regulations, I would suggest going somewhere like Duke where the connections you make and the experience they can provide sets you up more for that. Obviously there will be a ton of people that have an anecdotal experience of going to a smaller/"no name" school that get into these opportunities as well, but what would set you up the most? At nearly all of the schools I interviewed the faculty and leadership staff came from "higher tier" schools. Thats my own anecdotal example. 

As far as moving away from home, only you can decide if thats something that will trouble you or not. Can you make friends easily? Are you outgoing? You will be a part of a large cohort of students to make friends with. After college I moved from the midwest to a large costal city and am moving across the country again for school. So if you can make friends and dont get homesick, I would say leave. Get out, experience something different. I would contend its easier to up and leave now than it will be once you have a job and family. 

Edited by 1234Ideclare

Duke.

Unless you think you will be terribly homesick the whole time, Duke.

Tuition may be more expensive (although not exceptionally so), the COL likely MORE than makes up for it.

What really turns me away from your local program is that it's new and sounds like you'd be the first cohort.  There are a lot of unknowns in that.  If it was just a local program but had a few years under its belt, then I'd say you could make a case for it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 1234Ideclare said:

Whats the second school? People always seem to say that the name doesn't matter as long as you pass the PANCE. From a very basic standpoint I would agree. However, if you are interested in more niche specialties, clinical opportunities and job prospects are probably higher by going to a place like Duke, not necessarily because of the name specifically, but because of the opportunities that they can generate. You kind of mention this. With a newer program you also have a limited set of statistics to go off of. While their pass rates over the last x years may be high, it may not mean as much as the training/teaching at a place like Duke and their pass rates. You also mention it isnt connected to a medical center. Does that mean there isnt an attached medical school? Or does it mean that they dont have an associated hospital. A newer program could have trouble establishing meaningful clinical rotations, especially if they dont have a direct connection to a hospital, let alone a teaching hospital. Not always an issue, but just something to think about. When you interviewed did anyone ask about the quality of the clinical rotations? Also the fact that Duke is connected to the med school would be a benefit in my mind. You may get the opportunity (I assume, denied my interview here) to do things/learn things with the medical students. That is great experience for beginning to build the interpersonal skills with future health team members and seeing where the nursing/medical/PAs fit into that team. 

I feel like if you want to just become a PA and just practice as one, then sure, choose the cheaper school thats closer to home that will allow you to get certified and go work. But if you have any interest in doing more than just practicing as a PA, like getting involved in hospital leadership, health policy, regulations, I would suggest going somewhere like Duke where the connections you make and the experience they can provide sets you up more for that. Obviously there will be a ton of people that have an anecdotal experience of going to a smaller/"no name" school that get into these opportunities as well, but what would set you up the most? At nearly all of the schools I interviewed the faculty and leadership staff came from "higher tier" schools. Thats my own anecdotal example. 

As far as moving away from home, only you can decide if thats something that will trouble you or not. Can you make friends easily? Are you outgoing? You will be a part of a large cohort of students to make friends with. After college I moved from the midwest to a large costal city and am moving across the country again for school. So if you can make friends and dont get homesick, I would say leave. Get out, experience something different. I would contend its easier to up and leave now than it will be once you have a job and family. 

Thank you so much for your detailed input! I definitely want to go far with my PA career, and I feel that Duke will provide me with those opportunities to go beyond just clinical practice. That's something that I should keep in mind. The newer program is Chapman, which has a few years under its belt and seemed like a good program, with faculty that previously worked at other programs. I agree that this would be the ideal time to start a new chapter in a new place, which a big part of me wants to do - I'm not a super outgoing person so it is daunting, but deep inside I think I know that shouldn't deter me from new experiences. 

55 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

Duke.

Unless you think you will be terribly homesick the whole time, Duke.

Tuition may be more expensive (although not exceptionally so), the COL likely MORE than makes up for it.

What really turns me away from your local program is that it's new and sounds like you'd be the first cohort.  There are a lot of unknowns in that.  If it was just a local program but had a few years under its belt, then I'd say you could make a case for it.

I would be the 3rd or the 4th cohort it I'm correct (the second program is Chapman). At the interview I had the impression that the program was very flexible and fluid due to its nascent stage which seems to have both pros and cons. But you're right about COL difference offsetting the tuition, and hopefully I'll get over the coast-to-coast move quickly. Thank you for your input!