Will this track have any disadvantages?

I am a sophomore at a 4-year university and getting all of my pre-reqs in with plans to go to PA school. I have planned to get my certificate as a Medical Assistant AFTER graduation, and spend the next year and a half after that working as such/getting my patient care hours and then apply to PA school my second year out of college. I'm not in a hurry and would rather get some shadowing/volunteering in during my undergrad summers vs. getting my CMA now and working while attending school full time. Does anyone see this is as a disadvantage? I like the idea of focusing on one thing at a time as opposed to trying to cram everything in so that I can apply to PA school my senior year. But if this will reflect poorly on me in any way, I'd like to know! Thanks.

That is exactly what I did, but not by choice. I applied during my senior year with no PCE and received only waitlists and rejections. Fast forward a year the only real change in my experience was an EMT cert and 2000+ EMT hours and I’m sitting at 3 acceptances currently. I feel I am adequately prepared to start school and have some great experience to boot. It may take a bit longer, but you’ll have a much better chance of learning and having a good application if you are able to focus on one aspect at a time.

I agree with above comment, sprinkling coursework will keep your head in the academic study mode.

Thank you both. And congrats to you on 3 acceptances, Samson113! So exciting!  Samson, how long did it take you to get your EMT cert? You were able to get that AND get 2000 hours in a year? The Medical Assisting programs I've been looking at are going to take me a year and then I've got to get the PCE hours after that, so I feel like I'm looking at two years???

On 9/25/2019 at 9:15 AM, MediK8 said:

Thank you both. And congrats to you on 3 acceptances, Samson113! So exciting!  Samson, how long did it take you to get your EMT cert? You were able to get that AND get 2000 hours in a year? The Medical Assisting programs I've been looking at are going to take me a year and then I've got to get the PCE hours after that, so I feel like I'm looking at two years???

The EMT took me only a summer to get so around 3-4 months. I worked 24 on and 48 off for a while, so roughly 60 hrs a week takes 33ish weeks. All together about a year. I would highly recommend the experience, both in terms of hours and learning.

I been working as an uncertified medical assistant for over two years. Before spending the time and money it takes to become certified, I would look into job opportunities in your area to see if they require a certification. In my city, it would have taken one year and over $20,000 to get a certification, which is just a waste of money in my opinion if you're planning on going to PA school.