EMR - Which is the best?

My husband has set up several clinic with various EMRs (E-MDs, Soapware, eClinicalWorks, Practice partner). I believe Practice Partner and E-MDs have an integrated billing module. I can tell you one thing, no matter what program you purchase, make sure you have IT support for your hardware and if possible, someone familiar with the software. Most of these vendors can put you in touch with someone in the area. ALWAYS have backup and redundancy as well as offsite backup. Wish I could help you with more, just some stuff I picked up from hubby when sharing our "how was your day" stories.

Here I use Cerner PowerChart and Epic (GHC pts).

Cerner is still not very intuitive for note construction but with the mutlitude of specialties that we have it is template-rich. As a single specialty you would have a more streamlined setup I'd guess.

Epic is great in that is is well integrated with imaging, something powerchart lacks.

Do you have dictation services Mike?

Here I use Cerner PowerChart and Epic (GHC pts).

Cerner is still not very intuitive for note construction but with the mutlitude of specialties that we have it is template-rich. As a single specialty you would have a more streamlined setup I'd guess.

Epic is great in that is is well integrated with imaging, something powerchart lacks.

Do you have dictation services Mike?

As far as dictation, it is one of the varibles I will need to work out. I have Dragon. Typing our own notes is an option if we have the right software. Then there would be paid transcription service. The thing I like with the previous options is getting notes out the same day of the appointment. I've worked with Dragon before and it can be a pain at first. But if you patiences in "training" the software to recognize your words, it can work.

The major EHR that I'm exploring right now is Allscripts Myway.

I've used Epic and NextGen and prefer NextGen. I currently use NextGen in a small private practice (2-doc) and it's easy to use. Labs get updated fairly quickly through Nexgen and I can also renew patients prescriptions if needed. The only issues Ive had (not major) is simply having to scan EKGs, outside labs into the program which is also fairly easy to do as well.

As far as dictation, it is one of the varibles I will need to work out. I have Dragon. Typing our own notes is an option if we have the right software. Then there would be paid transcription service. The thing I like with the previous options is getting notes out the same day of the appointment. I've worked with Dragon before and it can be a pain at first. But if you patiences in "training" the software to recognize your words, it can work.

The major EHR that I'm exploring right now is Allscripts Myway.

Do you mean Dragon Medical? I couldn't imagine trying to "train" a voice recognition program that doesn't come with a basic medical dictionary. I've tried explaining this to our IT guys who seemed to think the business version should work equally well in medicine.

Archived