Updating programs on other acceptances

Good morning!

I interviewed at program A last month, and have yet to hear back yet.  I know this is pretty normal, but I was also recently accepted into another program (program B).  Program B requires me to put down my deposit within two weeks.  I am so excited to be accepted, but I would prefer to go to program A.  My question is if it would be appropriate to follow up with program A and let them know that I have been accepted elsewhere and to check on my application status prior to putting the deposit down at program B.  I know I can put down the deposit at program B and still attend program A if I am accepted, but I am just trying to avoid losing the nonrefundable deposit if at all possible.

Any tips help and thank you!

Putting down a deposit to hold the spot is just part of the game.  

Programs have their own process for evaluating and accepting applicants.  If program A doesn't plan on sending out answers until January (for example, say after all interviews are done), they aren't likely to make an exception for you.  In fact, it's quite possible that program A says 'great, congratulations, have fun at program B'.

Most programs are pretty up front about their process.  If you can't resist contacting program A, approach it as 'what is your acceptance timeline' - unless they made that clear during interviews, then take them for their word.  I certainly wouldn't try to leverage an acceptance at program B to push an acceptance at program A (not that you are, just don't do that).

• Like 1