New Grad Offer in UC SoFlo

So this is what their offer is. Let me know what you guys think: 

Base Salary: 80k

No bonus structure or productivity bonuses. Possibly re-evaluaiton of salary at the 6 month mark

14-16 shifts a month are expected across 3 separate locations that are within 15 min of each other, but they will schedule most shifts to nearest location to you

Medical/Dental/Malpractice with Tail

No 401k

1k of CME

DOT certification required not reimbursed

2 weeks of vacation that can be bought out if not used.

2 year commitment but can resign if given a 3 month notice and there is a non-compete clause. 

So keep in mind this is SoFlo as a new grad and is standard new grad offer. What should I come back with. I want to give them answer by Monday. I actually really like the facility and my SP is willing to train me for the first 6 months so that makes it slightly more palpable. 

$120k

$2k CME

401K with >3% match

DEA/License/DOT cert

Standard new grad contract or not that's terrible. Unless those are 8hr shifts. If those are 8hr shifts then alright. That's about $60/hr. If those are 12hr shifts you're looking at $39/hr. For 14 shifts. Which won't end up being only 12hr shifts.

As long as offers like this are being accepted they will continue to propagate. Try to get somewhere in the middle of your offer and my suggestion if possible. 

The above is standard new grad UC contract in mod COL PNW

• Upvote 1

Guest HanSolo

I don't think it is fair to say it is a terrible offer, but it's not great. My understanding is that supply >>> demand in south Florida. What is OP supposed to do, not pay off student loans and sit jobless? Move across the country? See if you can bump up salary to 90k, get rid of the non-compete, and/or make it a one year offer. Then negotiate a raise later or bail with a year of experience under your belt. 

Yeah maybe I've got my sights set too high or value our contribution to medicine a little too much. 

Guess it's just a question of where the OP and the rest of our profession wants to draw the line. $35/hr? $30/hr? Hell, that lice tech ad would start looking pretty good at that point when you factor in liability, stress and responsibility.

I get it. You come out of school, you need income, you don't want to move. I don't back down from it being a bad offer but I understand people may not have the option of walking from it. Maybe supply and demand will head in the other direction one of thes days.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

It obviously is a bad offer but offers are also very regional. Only the OP can say what he/she would like when it comes to facility/location/pay. If it pays the bills, has a good training structure, location is ideal I would counter with a modest bump on the offer and see where it goes. If this is the only offer after 50 apps and bills are coming due, take it and start working. 

The no compete is the primary deal breaker for me. How restrictive? Does it include any specialty/position or is it to specific network competitors? When does it go away? If you work two years and fullfil the contract does the clause disappear? 

It is easier to find a job when employed. If you like the place and location, take it and keep looking if it doesn't work out. 

Edited by bovineplane