Job between graduating from PA school and residency? Practical question...

I will graduate from PA school this Dec. and am applying to surgical residency programs. Most of the residencies start in September, so assuming it takes a few months to get my paperwork through, I'll only have 6-7 months to work before I would have to leave my first job. I don't want to be flaky and leave my very first job that soon. Do I have any hope of getting employment through a temp agency as a new grad? Should I try to get 2 part-time jobs so it isn't as much of a burden if I leave? I'm not picky about geography or specialty, I just want to start paying back my loans without having a big dark spot on my resume.

Thanks for your insight,

LK

I will graduate from PA school this Dec. and am applying to surgical residency programs. Most of the residencies start in September, so assuming it takes a few months to get my paperwork through, I'll only have 6-7 months to work before I would have to leave my first job. I don't want to be flaky and leave my very first job that soon. Do I have any hope of getting employment through a temp agency as a new grad? Should I try to get 2 part-time jobs so it isn't as much of a burden if I leave? I'm not picky about geography or specialty, I just want to start paying back my loans without having a big dark spot on my resume.

Thanks for your insight,

LK

Have you applied for surgical PA jobs? Might not need the residency if you get your foot in the door. 4 of my classmates git surgical jobs right after graduation making good money. One of them already paid off her loans.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

If you can find an urgent care place to practice, that might be the best bet- you're not stepping into a long term practice that wants to retain their PA's for several years. You'll be able to lay the groundwork with bread-and-butter quick stuff, and depending on the urgent care place you may even get to do some minor procedures that will help before stepping into a surgical residency.

Archived