Letter of support

profile_mask2.png

Senator Schumer <senator@schumer.senate.gov>

May 24, 2019, 4:51 PM (14 hours ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Mr. Blumm:

Thank you for writing to express your support for S.296, the Home Health Care Planning Improvement Act of 2019. I agree that nurse practitioners, physician assistants and other non-physician advanced practice professionals play a vital role in our healthcare system, and I support their increasingly critical work in the home health care space.

As you know, Medicare provides home health care services that are cheap, convenient, and effective and non-physician clinicians, like nurse practitioners and physician assistants, already play a significant role in providing care to home health care patients. Currently, nurse practitioners and physician assistants can treat patients independently, prescribe medications, and order nursing care, but they are not able to order home care services; they must get a physician to certify their assessment, causing a delay in care for the patient. We must continue to ensure that Medicare beneficiaries are able to receive high quality medical care and treatments in a timely manner.

I am proud to support Medicare beneficiaries and happy to let you know that I was the original Democratic lead on the Home Health Care Planning Improvement Act when it was first introduced in the 114th Congress. This Congress, Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) and Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) have re-introduced the Home Health Care Improvement Act, which seeks to ensure timely access to home health services. The bill is being reviewed by the Senate Committee on Finance. I will continue to monitor this legislation and fight for Medicare beneficiaries.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please keep in touch with your thoughts and opinions.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer
United States Senator
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1