Personal Statement Advice

Hello,

I am working on my personal narrative for my second application cycle to PA school. I luckily had a couple interviews last cycle but no acceptances. For my new narrative I was wondering if I should mention that i have a child (2months) now as I felt weird hiding that part in my interviews because I did not want that to be used against me. I was also wondering if I should mention that I got into another allied health program (RCIS) that will be starting shortly. I don’t want this to be used against me either but if I don’t get in my second attempt at least it is a decent job for the time being. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

I agree and disagree with the comment above about you bringing up your 2 m/o child in your personal statement. I think you can potentially bring up your child but only and IF only you are able to relate as to why your child has been an influential aspect in your journey to becoming a PA. If you aren’t, then yes, you should most definitely leave both aspects out. 

If it comes up naturally than mention it. Having a child can be seen as a positive because it shows maturity, commitment, and the ability to handle stress. These are qualities that schools look for in students. Don't feel pressured to speak about it, but don't feel like it needs to be a secret. They want to know you, and if your child influenced your decision to become a PA vs. MD, then it would make sense to talk about it.