Physician Preceptors for Clincial Rotations

Hello everyone, I apologize in advance if this question has already been addressed, I just couldn't find a clear answer. I begin PA school this upcoming fall and I am being proactive in setting up a clinical rotation site as I have heard it can sometimes take many months to set up an agreement with a hospital. My school (SCUHS) allows students to do clinical rotations nationwide as long as a contract can be established at the hospital. I am also doing this so early because I am having to move from Texas to California, but I want to be able to come back to Texas for my clinical rotations after the didactic phase.

Now my question is about physician preceptors. I was curious to know whether I have to find a preceptor for each 8-week clinical rotation in the specific type of medicine they practice, or if I just have to find one physician preceptor that oversees and directs me towards other physicians and their corresponding type of medicine they practice. More simply put, do I have to have find 10+ physicians to agree to precept, or just 1?

FYI: I am aware that students are not required to find their own preceptors. I am doing so to increase the odds of my University and the hospital of coming to an agreement and signed contract sooner so I have the relief and certainty of a clinical site set up while I'm still in my didactic phase.

Thank you,

Ryan Greenwood

You should check with your school first to see what procedures they have in place for onboarding new sites. It is not just a matter of finding a preceptor, the site also has to provide evidence that they can provide a quality experience. A school might get a little nervous for you to do a lot of rotations at sites they do not know well. 

• Upvote 1

You're really jumping the gun.  Each program has their own rules about finding preceptors for rotations.

If you have connections locally you could informally reach out and see if they would be willing to precept you in the future.

There is a LOT of paperwork that goes into setting these up and it's nothing you can do ahead of time.  Just be patient and wait until your program starts talking to you about your clinical year - trust me, they do this months in advance of starting your first rotation.  They know what they're doing and the timeline for rotations.  Trust them.  You might rub a lot of people the wrong way if you show up day one (or even before you start!)  worrying about this.  Your program's clinical year staff can only work on one cohort at a time...they aren't ready for you yet. Be patient.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the same place as you. Like others have said, you could actually breech the agreement you have at your school by pushing too hard. If you have contacts, let them know your potential interest but then leave it to then to come back to you. Trust the process, be where your feet are and between your ears. You'll have the best chances of getting where you want to be by letting the bread rise before you pre-emptively toss it in the oven.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk