Low GPA but a lot of experience!!!

Hi, everyone, I hope someone can help/advise me with my dilemma. I'm an undergraduate student in Florida as well as a Medical Assistant. I would like to become a PA but I don"t know if my GPA its going to help me. I used to to have 3.33 but it went down to 2.64. Right now I'm a Biology major but I feel like that major requires more class that I really need for a PA school. My advisor suggested that I switch to Health Science Major. Please help, what should I do, I do not know anything about Health Science Major.

I graduated Liberal Arts Health Science from this college. Heres some information http://www.brockport.edu/healthsci/index.html

I used to be a Biology major too until I realized the major didnt consist of what my interests were. Yes it requires a lot more science and lab than is actually required for PA school, but if you do well in this major PA programs will look favorably at your ability to do well in hard sciences. I found my interest was more in the health sciences and Brockport is where I finished my last 32 credits in one year. A great school I think, and a rewarding degree too. Look into it.

PS my opinions on such matters of PA programs are totally subjective, just my opinions from what I have learned or heard from others.

Good luck to you!

Guest hubbardtim48

You will need a strong science background made up of upper division classes (i.e. immuo, genetics, molecular bio, orgo I/II, biochem, pharm, etc) to prove to the committee that you can get through PA school. I would not switch to an easier major, but could switch to a different science major (i.e. molecular bio, chem., biochem.,). It will not behoove you to go to an easier major and will not look good to the committee. Keep up the hard work and if you have to work part time then so be it. It will be better in the long run. Good luck!

I agree and disagree with the above posts. I graduated with a bachelors of arts in Psychology (3.9 GPA) and then came back to school to do pre-med and along the way found that I'd rather be a PA. I kept going with the classes because I didn't want to quit as soon as I was done with my pre-reqs and ended up with a 3.5. I'm currently in a program with people who have more experience than I did and some that had less...The programs want to see that you can push through extremely hard classes and persist because PA school isn't by any means easy. I'm in a 26 month program and this is the hardest thing I have ever done and school has never been hard for me. A friend of mine in the program graduated with a health science major. It was really easy for her and she took the pre-reqs needed. She was accepted....but we went to a school that is known for math and science; a really demanding school. If I were you and I was serious about PA school, I would do the health science major along with the pre-reqs, but be forewarned, if you're having difficulty with those classes, it's not really any much easier in PA school and most programs have minimums as a grade (my program: failing is a B- which at times is scary when you get to a hard section such as neuro). As long as you have experience, a good GPA (I believe the average GPA in my class was like a 3.5/3.6), and have down well in the pre-reqs, you'll be okay.

Good luck to you!

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your opinion. I understand that PA school its hard and that I have to prove that I'm capable to do it. I'm not trying to avoid hard classes but I feel Biology major has classes such as zoology, ecology and others that are not necessary for PA program. I really want to finish a BA and take the pre-reqs for PA program. I didn't know about the Health Science Major until now, but I'm scared about going for it and then be waist of time, even with the pre-reqs. Do you guys know if I can retake those classes to get a better grade?. so far I have CHM 1 and 2, and Bio 1 with the labs.

I really don't understand why everyone focuses on the "hard sciences" and majors on this board. What's a "hard science" course anyway? The diffiuclty of material is subjective, as is the degree of difficulty of a given major. It comes down to excelling in your overall/science GPA, acing prereqs, and interviewing well. I doubt Adcoms put much stock in what your major is, or if you took a supposed "hard science" course. These programs are getting upwards of 1000 applicants a class, the admission process has to be standardized; every applicant is judged on the same set of criteria. My advice, major in something you're really interested in, and take the prereqs in addition to other coursework. If you didn't do well in a prereq(less than a B), retake it; as opposed to taking advanced science courses. Why take a more difficult course if you clearly are having difficulty with the basics? Honestly if I were to do it all over again I would of been an astronomy major.....PAs IN SPACE!

• 1 month later...

I was in the same position! I have been a medical assistant for 6 years and had a low science gpa . It was 2.9 science and 3.3 overall. But I shadowed gradual improvement and took harder classes and did better overtime like genetics and Orgo. I think the experience helps to an extent , especially when you're in the program and in practice , but in terms of admission I got turned down a lot, until one interview they actually asked me why I did poorly in the begining and how I improved . When I was able to explain, that I struggled with studying hey were understanding and a few weeks later I got an acceptance letter! If you don't get in, you should re take classes and take harder ones. That's what I wouldnhave done. Health science is only good if you plan to take time off on work, I was offered that too but turned it down becaus ei knew I could work as a medical assistant for the short time that would pass until next years application started. Hope this helps!

Archived