PCE vs HCE

This topic may be redundant, but I am a medical assistant and I am wondering if I am supposed to list my experience under PCE since I work directly with patients every day? Or because some of my work, such as filling prescriptions, record keeping, answering phones etc is more classified as HCE do I need to separate my experience as an MA into both PCE and HCE? 

Thank you! 

Classify the experience by the duties that you mainly perform. Many jobs have some level of clerical work but if that is the majority of what you do then that is HCE. If you are taking vitals, rooming patients, taking a history and assisting providers for your primary responsibilities, that is PCE.  I suppose you could split the hours but I think that is confusing as most people will understand that a MA will have some level of office work. 

The link for CASPA definitions are below.

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Filling_Out_Your_CASPA_Application/3._CASPA_Supporting_Information/2_Experiences#Patient_Care_Experience

Hey!

I have been wondering the same thing and have read blogs and watched podcast about how one should classify their experience on CASPA. I am a medical assistant as well and my role ranges from assisting a provider with outpatient procedures, recording vital signs and medical history, to answering phones, checking messages, refilling prescriptions, etc. Anything that has to deal directly with assisting a provider in the health care of a patient is considered patient care experience. In my example above, assisting in procedures, recording vitals, obtaining vitals and medical history would be considered patient care experience. The later would be considered health care experience. You should separate the two in CASPA and make sure your hours match up accordingly. Its such a grey area topic and schools classify this differently so use your best judgement when classifying your roles. Be specific with what your roles are/were and that might help you figure out how to classify them.

Hope his helps! I am working on the experience section now and it is taking me a while to figure out how to classify my experiences. Again, use your best judgement and if you have any specific questions regarding experience, you should contact CASPA or the schools you are applying to.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:52 PM, pastudentw said:

Classify the experience by the duties that you mainly perform. Many jobs have some level of clerical work but if that is the majority of what you do then that is HCE. If you are taking vitals, rooming patients, taking a history and assisting providers for your primary responsibilities, that is PCE.  I suppose you could split the hours but I think that is confusing as most people will understand that a MA will have some level of office work. 

The link for CASPA definitions are below.

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Filling_Out_Your_CASPA_Application/3._CASPA_Supporting_Information/2_Experiences#Patient_Care_Experience

It says at the bottom that we should divide our Average Weekly Hours accordingly. My only confusion is if we need to divide our Number of Weeks as well for each HCE and PCE? or just put the same number of weeks for each? 

For example, say I worked 20 weeks total

should I split 10 weeks in HCE and 10 weeks in PCE?

Thanks for your response

Archived