Job Advice - Part-Time Opportunity

Hi! Could use some advice. I will be graduating in May, taking my boards in June, so I'm starting the job hunt in internal medicine/primary care. There's one job opportunity that I interviewed for that sounds like it would be a great experience. It's a hospitalist position, but unfortunately, they're only looking to fill two weekends a month (Friday-Sunday). I'm not sure whether to accept this job opportunity considering I am looking for another full-time job, and not sure what that schedule would look like. For PAs out there with multiple jobs - is it doable to juggle two jobs as a new graduate? Should I seek a full-time opportunity first before taking on a part-time opportunity? 

Thank you in advance!

Any chance of this evolving into a FT position or of there being an additional slot through the same organization in a different field that interests you?

I'd strongly recommend FT work out the gate to give you the chance to immerse yourself and really start applying the knowledge. Now, if this sounds like a fantastic fit and you can survive on PT pay, snag it up!

I currently work 0.47FTE at one group and am per diem about 5-7 nights a month at another, I'm about 4yrs out of school. It's hard to balance the lack of benefits, minimal if any contribution to retirement etc, happily my wife rocks a fantastic ED position so I'm able to dabble in my mix up.

Agree with above - as a new grad especially I think it's better to secure a FT position and not add in extra jobs (whether PT or PRN) until you're really comfortable.

I'd also worry that a job looking to fill weekend positions might not be willing to train the way a new grad needs.  

You can gracefully exit this situation without burning bridges; I'd recommend seeking a FT position.

Archived