Applying with outstanding hours

Hey all.  I've decided on a whim to go ahead and apply to 2-3 programs this cycle that require minimal patient contact before applying.  I have 200 hrs. as a PT Aide currently, but am starting a job as an ER Tech and MA this summer using my EMT-B license, and will be working 40-50 hrs. a week until I am accepted to PA school (even if thats two years from now).  So, while I don't have many hours now, I will have over the minimum of 500 each program requires by their deadline and easily have 1800+ by time of matriculation if I'm accepted. My question is this- should I mention somewhere in CASPA that I will be working on accruing more PCE hours and update them at a later time? Is this allowed and if so, where? It's pretty daunting to navigate CASPA for the first time and I want to do it right.  Thanks!

Your application will show that you are still currently working. Anything less than 1,000 hours is not really competitive, even with a good GPA. Schools only count the hours that you have by the time you apply. They take into consideration the hours after, but they will ultimately look at the hours you put when you submitted. If the schools you are applying to do not have rolling admissions, I would suggest submitting 1 month before the due date to accrue more hours

Guest thePAway

in CASPA you put your start date, how many hours you have worked and hours per week for your total thus far. then it asks whether it is a current position or to provide an end date so you will put current position so they know you are still working that job. some schools, like northwestern, will count hours forward. Depends on the program!

Archived