Schools in the South

Hi all.  I am an NC native looking to apply to PA school in the 2020 cycle for the first time.  I am looking at schools in NC, VA, SC, one in TN, and one in GA.  This is about 10 schools, trying to pare down my list to ~7-8.  My question is this- being that the South is so saturated w/ PA schools, is it imperative that I apply elsewhere too? I do not want to go north of VA b/c I cannot handle the cold well, and my entire family and boyfriend live in NC.  Should I look at schools farther away like Al, LA, TX or just leave it at these? Need advice from someone who's had this situation..... kinda freaks me out at the thought of being that far away, plus there's so many schools in these nearby states!

9 hours ago, dottie7 said:

Hi all.  I am an NC native looking to apply to PA school in the 2020 cycle for the first time.  I am looking at schools in NC, VA, SC, one in TN, and one in GA.  This is about 10 schools, trying to pare down my list to ~7-8.  My question is this- being that the South is so saturated w/ PA schools, is it imperative that I apply elsewhere too? I do not want to go north of VA b/c I cannot handle the cold well, and my entire family and boyfriend live in NC.  Should I look at schools farther away like Al, LA, TX or just leave it at these? Need advice from someone who's had this situation..... kinda freaks me out at the thought of being that far away, plus there's so many schools in these nearby states!

I know everyone will have their own take and tell you that ultimately it comes down to you deciding where you feel the best fit.  I too live in NC and applied all over the USA as I wanted to become a PA even if that meant I would have had to move to California.  I was fortunate to get accepted at Campbell University and could not be happier to not only stay in NC but accepted to an amazing program.  Do look at the programs closely and if you possible visit them as well.  I am happy to answer any questions you may have and best of luck 🙂

4 hours ago, Packman PA said:

I know everyone will have their own take and tell you that ultimately it comes down to you deciding where you feel the best fit.  I too live in NC and applied all over the USA as I wanted to become a PA even if that meant I would have had to move to California.  I was fortunate to get accepted at Campbell University and could not be happier to not only stay in NC but accepted to an amazing program.  Do look at the programs closely and if you possible visit them as well.  I am happy to answer any questions you may have and best of luck 🙂

Ahhhh I've toured Campbell and absolutely LOVED it!! It's on of my "top picks", if there are such a thing with PA school lol.  Mind if I DM you some questions about your program?!

Guest thatgirlonabike

I live in NC.  I applied to 6 schools.  3 in NC, 1 in TN, 1 in Mass (family up there) and one in VA.  I was limited somewhat because I did not want to retake prereqs.  10 certainly isn't too many to apply to but if you don't want to my advice is to visit and read everything you can find about programs.  Just in NC the schools are VERY different and have very different requirements and things they focus on.  Find the ones that "fit" who you want to be as a PA. 

For example-- I was not comfortable applying to very religious programs who had strict rules about behavior/sexuality.  I did not want my name associated with a school like that even if it was just for the undergrads.  So it made it easy to eliminate certain programs. 

Archived