What I wish I knew Before Starting PA School...

Relax, review your anatomy and physiology now, and have fun before school starts.

When school starts, keep up in class, be collaborative and not competitive, bond with at least some of your classmates, treat school like a job, experiment with what study techniques work best for you (may not be the same in every class), set aside time for yourself every day, briefly celebrate after tests, exercise (even if only to take a walk), eat healthy (most of the time), have a good support structure for the tough times, and remember that many thousands of people have successfully navigated these waters. You can, too.

And, surprisingly, you'll probably look back at it (most of it anyway) with fondness.

Best wishes, newbie!

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Relax, review your anatomy and physiology now, and have fun before school starts.

When school starts, keep up in class, be collaborative and not competitive, bond with at least some of your classmates, treat school like a job, experiment with what study techniques work best for you (may not be the same in every class), set aside time for yourself every day, briefly celebrate after tests, exercise (even if only to take a walk), eat healthy (most of the time), have a good support structure for the tough times, and remember that many thousands of people have successfully navigated these waters. You can, too.

And, surprisingly, you'll probably look back at it (most of it anyway) with fondness.

Best wishes, newbie!

Thank you SO much!!! 🙂 

• Like 1

That the impostor syndrome is real. Constantly, I question whether I am good enough especially knowing I WILL be caring for others health and well-being. As well, people say you should never compare yourself to others but (at times) it is difficult to 100% stay away from this; though, I really try not to b/c it is slowly eating up my self-esteem. 

Keeping a healthy mind is something I never even thought of prior to PA school because I have been fortunate to have supportive family and friends around. If you are moving away from home, understand that you will be emotionally, psychologically, mentally, and socially challenged. Surround yourself with positive and supportive individuals and your journey will be that much better. 

Edited by Doppio_Espresso
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Start studying right away. It may feel as though everything is starting out slow at first, but by week 3 you’re suddenly going to be hit with at least 3-4 difficult exams. After that, you’ll be having 2-5 exams per week, every single week. Some people in my program (including myself) didn’t start studying immediately and didn’t study every single day, especially at the very beginning. We all ended up getting some Cs and now I have to get my GPA up next semester because I’m on probation for being under a 3.0 (this is the first time in my life I’m even under a 3.5). In PA school you cannot cram, it’s just way too much material. 

Also, if you ever get a grade that you don’t like, just remember that most people get a bad exam grade at some point. Start reaching out to professors and classmates IMMEDIATELY when you do, they are great resources!!! And don’t let it shake your confidence... if it happens, you need to brush it off and keep plowing forward. The most important exam is the next one. 

• Upvote 2