HSCP late vs direct commission

Hey guys. I am accepted to PA school that starts August 2019 and will graduate December 2021. I did not apply to the cycle that closed in February 2019, that would take effect Fall 2019(I think?). I have considered applying in August 2019 for the next FY that opens in October 2019, but I'm not sure it would be worth it as I would be in school already. I would really appreciate any opinions on this. 

Secondly, if anyone has any first or secondhand knowledge about direct commissioning as a civilian PA after graduation that would be extremely helpful as well. 

Thanks, Sam

I think it is still worth it if you really want to join the Navy. I believe someone here had posted some time ago that they applied on October after starting PA school and got accepted fairly quickly and was able to start getting paid from January. So, they did lose about 5 months but on the long run, that isn't too bad. 

• 1 month later...

I'd say it's worth it if you really want to join the Navy. I applied in Dec. 2016, started school in Jan. 2017, and didn't enlist under HSCP until June 2017.

It worked for me because 1.) I've always wanted to become a Navy Officer, so I would've accepted regardless 2.) My program is 28 months, so I was already 4 months in, making the 24 month scholarship perfect.

Archived