Does age of BA matter?

Hello,

I earned a BA in communications 10 years ago but started college in 1999. Like most I didn't know what I wanted to do and by the time I started again I just wanted that piece of paper. Suffice to say my GPA isn't the best. The short version is I found myself part time in EMS for extra money then finished 2nd in my paramedic class with almost a 4.0 and now full time as a 911 medic. I'm back taking prerequisites now and have a 3.5, and should see 3.7 when this semester is over. 

With such vast improvement of GPA and it being in science classes with all my HCE will I be able to overcome a lower (perhaps 2.9 or bang on 3.0) GPA? I am assuming excellent LOR and have plenty of shadowing hours lined up, along with high GRE. 

Thanks,

Tim

To answer your initial question: no, the age of your BA does not matter as long as you have one. Some schools have expiration dates on prerequisites, but it sounds as though you've taken those fairly recently. Try and get both your cGPA and sGPA to be at least a 3.0, that's generally the cutoff for most schools. With your upward trend, particularly with high marks in the sciences, I'd focus on applying to programs that take into account your last 60 credits and favor your high amount of HCE.

Archived