Dilemma: EMT B Course

Hi all, 

I recently completed an EMT B Course & will be taking the NREMT soon enough. I'm fairly confident on the written portion... but sadly during my rotations I discovered that the school I attended has a terrible reputation in the area. The paramedics I was working with told me not to continue my education with them & that I'd probably have a hard time finding a job. Honestly, there is a lot about the course I haven't liked - we barely had any skills training for example - but now I'm looking at 6 months & a significant amount of money down the drain.

What would you guys do in this situation? I've thought about reaching out to other programs to see if I can complete some skill training with them... but I'm just feeling really disheartened overall & don't know if I should just forget about the EMT route. I'll be moving states soon as well to boot & am thinking of just going back to scribing, though I was really hoping to get some real PCE from this. 

What matters is that you have your NREMT and state license. Once you have those, you're just as competent as any other brand-new EMT. You'll do a lot of learning on the job. And if you're moving states, I can almost guarantee no one in your new home will know or care where you went to EMT class. Don't stress! 

I could be wrong but I wouldn't think it matters. Even if the program has a terrible reputation, as long as it's recognized and confers the appropriate paperwork to allow you to sit for the NREMT (which it seems they did) as well as proctor a practical skills exam for you to take then becoming certified is all you need. I ended up using my EMT license for an ER Tech job, but in my interviewing experience no one asked me where I received my training, they just cared if I was certified or not.

Take the written test and then find some folks (maybe in your class) that are associated with a volunteer department (for example) and go review skills together at their station.

Many EMT programs spend way more time on knowledge than skills. You often need to do more of that on your own. 

EMT-B skills are pretty straightforward. I've never looked specifically, but I'm sure there are plenty of youtube video demonstrations available. Watch those, and then do what UGoLong said and you should be fine.

It'll be good practice for PA school. You can't possibly learn all medical procedures in didactic year...but if you learn everything you can on your own, you stand a better chance of having a preceptor teach you/let you do a procedure.

3 hours ago, UGoLong said:

Take the written test and then find some folks (maybe in your class) that are associated with a volunteer department (for example) and go review skills together at their station.

Many EMT programs spend way more time on knowledge than skills. You often need to do more of that on your own. 

Thank you, I'll definitely do that. We really didn't spend much time on skills, we practiced each skill once or twice before testing on it and that was at the beginning of the course. The paramedics I spoke with were pretty much dead against the school I went to which is discouraging, but I'll focus on the NREMT & improving my skills independently. Like @fishbum said maybe it'll be good prep for PA school 🙂

Thanks to you all @nichole96, @Victory1322, fishbum & UGoLong, I'm feeling much better about it now! 

I agree with the above responses. Just crush the NREMT, get your license. I'm in an EMT program currently too, and that's what they keep enforcing- yes we're getting good experience in the program, but it comes down to passing the NREMT. 

So once you pass the NREMT and you are feeling like you need more hands on experience, I suggest volunteering. Maybe a hospital. Or better yet- does your program require ridealongs? My program requires 5 ridealongs with our fire and rescue dept. Yes, I learned a good bit in the classroom... but these ridealongs is where I truly am learning these hands on skills. Also, I am gaining so much confidence. I'm working on real human beings as an EMT student, not just mannequins. If you could do some ridealongs with your fire and rescue dept, I think that would be the way to go.

Then, if for some reason at any future job interview and they question your schooling- now you can say you have hands on experience in addition to your schooling. You went above and beyond! Hope this helps.

Archived