BS in Psychology vs Pre-Req Time Constraints

I am trying to see if anyone has run into a similar circumstance and see what the outcome may have been.  I have a BS in Psychology and completed the degree in 2012, so several of my core Psych course were completed over 10 years ago, to include Abnormal Psych and Developmental Psych.  Numerous programs I am interested in require these two course be completed as Pre-Req and have been completed within the last ten years.  

I'm wondering how PA programs handle this requirement when an applicants undergrad degree is in Psychology.  Has anyone experienced something similar?

Guest HopeToBePAC

It doesn't matter if your degree is in Psychology. You still need to take those courses within the time frame they require. So, if they want those classes to be have completed in the past 10 years, they need to be in the past 10 years (not 11 years ago, 12 years ago, etc.). 

I have seen SOME programs making exceptions (will usually be written on their website)for those going through certain circumstances that can't complete them within whatever time frame they want. In general though, these time constraints on certain classes are firm. 

^^That may not necessarily be true.

It will be program dependent - they can each do whatever they want. But there are programs who will waive the time requirement if you're working in the field and actively using the knowledge.  This usually comes up for the hard science pre-reqs (I was able to do this) so it MIGHT apply to psych if you've actually been working and using the knowledge.  There are a few that also will stipulate X years from when the degree was earned (i.e if you took intro to psych in 2008 but graduated in 2012 you technically would be okay).

Now if you have a psych degree and are working in banking or something wholly unrelated, then yea you might have to retake them.

That said, psych pre-reqs don't play quite the same role as the hard science courses when it comes to building a foundation of knowledge.  Your best bet is to contact programs directly.

Archived