How soon is too soon?

I apologize if this is something that’s been discussed before (the search feature wasn’t showing me any results).
I’m a second year PA student graduating the end of July. I hope to have a position lined up at graduation, and start working in September. I’ve been looking at job postings (mostly through NHSC/HRSA job board) and I’ve found lots I’d be interested in applying to.
My question is, how soon is too soon to begin applying to positions? 6 months? 4 months?

Thanks for any advice!

I'd start now.  I started in December when I had a May graduation date.  

September is an unlikely start date.  By the time you take PANCE, get credentialed and DEA, etc etc it's usually about 3 months from graduation until you can start working.  Only caveat would be a small practice that doesn't have a formal credentialing process.

Keep in mind that if positions are looking for someone to start ASAP your application may be a waste of time.  But plenty of positions out there willing to wait.  A realistic start date however will be more like October and employers will know that.

Archived