Entering military HCE in CASPA

Should I enter my entire military service under one experience if I did work stateside in a clinic and overseas on combat patrols? It's all Patient Care experience, but the duties, location and supervisors varied. It seems especially awkward to break it up so my clinical experience is entered separately. I would rather put it all in one 3 1/2 year section because I discussed both experiences in my PS but I don't want to enter it wrong.

I listed my Army medic experiences under one experience, and then I used my personal narrative to highlight portions of my combat tours and military training that I feel make me a competitive candidate for their PA program. I cannot imagine having a need to document various supervisors for the different positions you held. I listed my most recent (and more importantly someone who has nice things to say about me!). The application is long enough for the admissions committee as it is without having your military experiences take up 3 or 4 employment slots, but that's just my personal opinion. Good luck with this upcoming CASPA cycle!

That's pretty much what I did. I added up the number of months I was in the Army for after all of my training was complete. For every 12 months of service, I subtracted 1 to make up for the 30 days of leave and multiplied that total by what I thought was a reasonable and honest number of hours that I spent actively seeing patients. There's no way for me to cut hairs as to time spent working sick call or deployed to Iraq versus time spent at the motor pool or any of the other not so glamorous aspects of the Army that don't get made into recruitment commercials haha! I'm not an expert on the CASPA application, though. That's just how I have filled out my application for the 2012-2013 cycle.

Archived