What are my chances?

Hello,

I figured I would give this a go. What are my chances of getting into PA school based upon the following experiences and stats?

Cumulative GPA: 3.52

Science GPA: 3.37

(Although GPAs are low, never received anything lower than B-, however not necessarily and upward trend in GPA either)

GRE: 146 Quant, 155 Verbal, 4 writing

Worked as a medical assistant in Orthopedic Surgery during college, came out to be 2,600 hours. Previous research at the National Cancer Institute, currently working as a research coordinator managing clinical trials in Colorectal Surgery and Gastroenterology at university level. At time of application, will have about 5000 PCE. Will also have publications in medical journals. Numerous leadership roles and experiences throughout college such as president of fraternity, student government, and medical mission trip to Nicaragua. Also received university awards.

Will have strong letters, two surgeons I worked for and 1 from PA I worked with, one from professor I did research with for schools that require an academic reference.

My biggest concerns are the GRE scores and low science GPA. I'm currently studying to take the GRE again before applying, but the GPA is what it is.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Guest HopeToBePAC

I think you have a very good shot. Your GPA is actually around what the average is for those who get accepted for most PA schools. In terms of the GRE, the 146 quant is a bit low, but you're still over 300 so it's not too essential for you to re-take it unless you really think you can improve your score. Everything else looks good IMO. 

On 1/21/2019 at 9:46 AM, HopeToBePAC said:

I think you have a very good shot. Your GPA is actually around what the average is for those who get accepted for most PA schools. In terms of the GRE, the 146 quant is a bit low, but you're still over 300 so it's not too essential for you to re-take it unless you really think you can improve your score. Everything else looks good IMO. 

Thank You!

1 hour ago, nichole96 said:

I had the same academic stats, 322 GRE, and 2600 hours PCE and got 7 accepantaces. Write a great personal statement and apply early to schools that are a good fit for you (in both stats and mission) and you should be just fine 🙂

Thanks Nichole, but a 322 GRE is much higher than mine!😫

20 minutes ago, Letsdothis said:

Thanks Nichole, but a 322 GRE is much higher than mine!😫

The GRE is really just a check box, you squeaked over the generally recommended 300 GRE benchmark, and you have double my PCE (which is far more meaningful than a 4-hour test). Like I said, look carefully at the accepted student profiles for the schools you're considering, but don't be afraid to go ahead and apply to schools you love! 

Archived