Feeling average with my experience and stats

Hi everyone,

Been working on preparing my application for the past 6 months now but I've been feeling average lately with my scores and experience. I would appreciate any input or advice you all might have for me. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.3 // Last 60 units: 3.5

sGPA: 3.5

GRE: 146v 147q 4.0aw

PCE/HCE: Medical Assistant at an infectious disease clinic - specializing in HIV/AIDS for 9.5 years
- not quite sure how to calculate this as the last 2 years have been part time and the last year has been with the research team

No shadowing hours, although I have previously worked with a PA at my clinic who is no longer there and a PA currently there who is scheduled only 1-2 times a month.

Volunteer experience: 70 hours at an inpatient acute rehab facility, 35 hours at an Aphasia treatment program, and 35 hours for the East Bay HIV/AIDS annual update

What I have in the works right now are more volunteer opportunities as well as shadowing an E.R. PA, and Ortho PA (paperwork in progress). I also plan to have some MD's. NP's and professors write my letter of recs. I'm just curious if this, along with an exceptional personal statement will suffice for more schools, and if not, what can I do?

To be honest, this upcoming cycle, I am only applying to schools where the GRE is not required. I wanted to re-take it bu am unable to in the next couple of months. With any of your help and experience, do you guys think I'm a qualified candidate to apply? Thanks so much everyone. 

12 hours ago, caligirl707 said:

Hi everyone,

Been working on preparing my application for the past 6 months now but I've been feeling average lately with my scores and experience. I would appreciate any input or advice you all might have for me. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.3 // Last 60 units: 3.5

sGPA: 3.5

GRE: 146v 147q 4.0aw

PCE/HCE: Medical Assistant at an infectious disease clinic - specializing in HIV/AIDS for 9.5 years
- not quite sure how to calculate this as the last 2 years have been part time and the last year has been with the research team

No shadowing hours, although I have previously worked with a PA at my clinic who is no longer there and a PA currently there who is scheduled only 1-2 times a month.

Volunteer experience: 70 hours at an inpatient acute rehab facility, 35 hours at an Aphasia treatment program, and 35 hours for the East Bay HIV/AIDS annual update

What I have in the works right now are more volunteer opportunities as well as shadowing an E.R. PA, and Ortho PA (paperwork in progress). I also plan to have some MD's. NP's and professors write my letter of recs. I'm just curious if this, along with an exceptional personal statement will suffice for more schools, and if not, what can I do?

To be honest, this upcoming cycle, I am only applying to schools where the GRE is not required. I wanted to re-take it bu am unable to in the next couple of months. With any of your help and experience, do you guys think I'm a qualified candidate to apply? Thanks so much everyone. 

I wanted to let you know that you should not feel average and you have a decent GPA and experience.  You have put a plan in place to get some shadowing with a PA, MD and NP.   If you got to the PA Applicant Stats Page and scroll to page 51 and look for my entry "Packman PA".  You will see how I am not a typical PA applicant.  Non-traditional student. older (47), tons of experience but lower GPA and GRE.  I applied to Campbell University here in North Carolina.  They look at your last 60 credits if your cGPA is not a 3.2.  However your last 60 credits do need to be at or over the 3.2cGPA mark.   Keep working hard and don't give up.  Feel free to contact me with any questions and best of luck 🙂

Guest HopeToBePAC

I'd say you have a chance. You have lots of quality PCE which should help compensate for your GPA/GRE. PA shadowing isn't required but is helpful. I'd say if you apply to a wide range of schools that don't require GRE and focus more on PCE you could get interview offers. But yes, write a good personal statement which will help.

Archived