"Passion to work in underserved areas" Application Question Response Help

Any advice on how to answer this question-- "Are you committed to serving in underserved areas? Use previous experiences to demonstrate you are committed to this or not." Seems like almost every program asks this question. I have had no grad trips to underprivileged countries or medical mission trips to touch on. Any tips on how to stand out with this application question? Thanks in advance!

Guest HopeToBePAC

I don't think they're necessarily looking for oversees medical mission trips. I think any work that you have done in an underserved area such as by volunteering in any way (like in a free clinic), interacting with the underserved populations or minorities within your healthcare job, etc. would count for this section.

Guest thatgirlonabike
2 hours ago, Lacr0sse171 said:

Any advice on how to answer this question-- "Are you committed to serving in underserved areas? Use previous experiences to demonstrate you are committed to this or not." Seems like almost every program asks this question. I have had no grad trips to underprivileged countries or medical mission trips to touch on. Any tips on how to stand out with this application question? Thanks in advance!

And if you aren't passionate about these populations then find schools that don't ask this question.  You will probably be happier there anyway.  

11 hours ago, thatgirlonabike said:

And if you aren't passionate about these populations then find schools that don't ask this question.  You will probably be happier there anyway.  

^^This 100%.

Some programs heavily do rotations in underserved areas.  Often this means very rural.

Same goes for programs that have a mission to produce primary care PAs.  If you don't want to go into primary care or are heavily considering a specialty, better to go to a program that will support that (and there are plenty).

On 1/12/2019 at 8:19 PM, Lacr0sse171 said:

Doesnt necessarily have to be just medical mission trips.

Have you ever donated toys, clothes, food drives?  Just doing that, and hopefully on a consistent basis is one way to demonstrate a want to help the underserved. May not be medically but that desire is there. In the end though, if it isn't in your plan to provide some healthcare for the underserved then I would look elsewhere.  

When they ask for underserved areas, they are referring to undeserved populations whether its rural or the inner city. Basically, think of an experience where you have had to work, volunteer, or interact with a specific group who have difficulties in receiving medical care and other basic needs. Not everyone needs to go on a medical mission trip to prove their commitment, sometimes its a lot closer to home than you think. Hope this helps!

Archived