Please help!!!

I am looking into applying to Westerns PA program. However due to several personal issues I was going through at that time I have 5 Ws on my transcript with 2 of them being in science- chemistry 10 (intro general chem). I was finally able to take it again at another community college and got an A. Right now I am back to getting good grades and have a 3.85 GPA. I was told to write about this in my personal statement. How should I address this??

I always say that truth is key. If personal issues were what put 5 W's on your transcript than explain what those issues were briefly and definitely point out that you picked yourself up and excelled in the courses that you originally withdrew from. Turn it into a positive - focus more on how you dusted yourself off and got back on your feet. If you try to BS why the W's occurred though I think that will show through to the adcom. So keep it truthful :) Hope this helps!

Personally, I think you should indirectly mention it in a sentence, maybe two AT THE MOST. Why waste space on drawing in negative "energy" to your PS. Keep it positive. Maybe mention how "a rough semester/year got the best of you, and allowed you to mature and grow as a more diligent and focused student", etc. But to me, saying "XYZ during spring and summer semester caused me to get a W in 2 chem classes. Now that nothing stressful is going on in my life, I have an A."

It paints a whole different picture to the reader. Do you want them to see the person that understands they messed up, and are for the better; or the person that is trying to justify a mistake with reasons/excuses?

I got a C in a chem class once. I didn't mention it at all on my PS (If you're doing CASPA, its "Why do you want to be a PA" not "Please explain your bad grades in 5,000 characters or less." If its an issue for them, they'll ask you at the interview (Hint: Have a response ready). On my supplemental statement, I briefly explained how personal issues factored in but focused more on how I curbed my response to negative stress in school during that Chem class, so that it wouldn't be a problem in PA school. I.e "got it out of my system and learned how to deal with such issues."

Guest hubbardtim48

But to me, saying "XYZ during spring and summer semester caused me to get a W in 2 chem classes. Now that nothing stressful is going on in my life, I have an A."

This statement I WOULD NOT put in my P.S. because PA school is STRESSFUL and by saying, now that nothing is stressful is going on in my life, I have an A, would really turn ME off if I was on a adcom. I am giving you advise from a PA student, but I have talked to several people about my P.S. and I did not put ONE negative thing in it and did not waste my space or the adcoms' time reading about stuff they can see on your transcript. I got in to PA school and just letting you know what I did. Good luck to you!

But to me, saying "XYZ during spring and summer semester caused me to get a W in 2 chem classes. Now that nothing stressful is going on in my life, I have an A."

This statement I WOULD NOT put in my P.S. because PA school is STRESSFUL and by saying, now that nothing is stressful is going on in my life, I have an A, would really turn ME off if I was on a adcom. I am giving you advise from a PA student, but I have talked to several people about my P.S. and I did not put ONE negative thing in it and did not waste my space or the adcoms' time reading about stuff they can see on your transcript. I got in to PA school and just letting you know what I did. Good luck to you!

I wasn't telling them to put this particular statement in their PS...I was just painting a picture of how it would sound to an Adcom (see-interpretation).

Archived