Criminal Background Check

Hey guys,

In February of this year, I was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence. However, my breathalyzer only came up as a .056. I was initially charged with a DUI. I got a lawyer who fought this charge for me because of my low BAC (and the fact that the police report had some wild inaccuracies, like stating that I said I took an Ambien before I drove, which is completely false, and the urinalysis that I provided at the time of my arrest was convienently "lost") and I got the charge reduced to a negligent driving charge, which is simply a traffic ticket and not a felony or misdemeanor. I never pleaded guilty to a DUI.

How will this show on my background check? Will this impact my ability to get into PA school and/or get licensed? I'm not going to apply to PA school for at least another year, if that matters.

Thanks.

You should speak with your lawyer on how this comes up on your background check. Ask your lawyer, "if someone does a background check on me, what will come up?" If he/she says the DUI situation does not come up and it's a negligent driving charge, then find out if you need to explain it. If he/she says the whole situation comes up, then CASPA gives you an option to explain what happened and the schools will decide if they would want to consider you. Do NOT lie. If you lie about anything on your CASPA application, you will NEVER be able to apply to PA school again. CASPA makes that very clear when you sign up. This will help better answer your question: https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Filling_Out_Your_CASPA_Application/1._CASPA_Personal_Information/5Other_Information

5 hours ago, Potatolife said:

You should speak with your lawyer on how this comes up on your background check. Ask your lawyer, "if someone does a background check on me, what will come up?" If he/she says the DUI situation does not come up and it's a negligent driving charge, then find out if you need to explain it. If he/she says the whole situation comes up, then CASPA gives you an option to explain what happened and the schools will decide if they would want to consider you. Do NOT lie. If you lie about anything on your CASPA application, you will NEVER be able to apply to PA school again. CASPA makes that very clear when you sign up. This will help better answer your question: https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Filling_Out_Your_CASPA_Application/1._CASPA_Personal_Information/5Other_Information

If I remember correctly, it will should up as a negligent driving charge. However, my arrest record will say that I was arrested for a DUI, but I will not have a conviction

Archived