Class of 2014!

Hello PA-S,

FYI: I just ordered the list of textbooks for the Fall/2012 from the Welcome PA Package received on Friday, 06/15/2012. The cost was $591.00 for 4 classes (PHT 1, PHT 2, PHT 3 & PHT 22A) from Amazon website. Again, there will be addition fee ($$$) for the materials/supplies, which will be distributing on the orientation. The textbooks are required on the 1st day of class.

PS...Health Screening/Examination Form due on 07/31/2012 by 5:00 PM..!

(.)(.) Start to read (@)(@)

Good Luck,

Andy :=-0:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello PA-S,

FYI: I just ordered the list of textbooks for the Fall/2012 from the Welcome PA Package received on Friday, 06/15/2012. The cost was $591.00 for 4 classes (PHT 1, PHT 2, PHT 3 & PHT 22A) from Amazon website. Again, there will be addition fee ($$$) for the materials/supplies, which will be distributing on the orientation. The textbooks are required on the 1st day of class.

Good Luck,

Did you get all new books or were there some used books that you bought. That's a really good deal if you got them all for less than $600.

Hello PA-S,

Good Luck,

Did you get all new books or were there some used books that you bought. That's a really good deal if you got them all for less than $600.

70% new & 30% use books: A&P I got used book.

FYI: I got the 6th edition for "The Common System..."

I believed the title for PHT 22A is a typo: should be Anantomy & Physiology (A&P)..!

Hoping all books arrive by this Friday, 6/22nd, so I can start reading and preparing for the class lecture..!

70% new & 30% use books: A&P I got used book.

FYI: I got the 6th edition for "The Common System..."

I believed the title for PHT 22A is a typo: should be Anantomy & Physiology (A&P)..!

Hoping all books arrive by this Friday, 6/22nd, so I can start reading and preparing for the class lecture..!

Hey you all! I found my old receipt from the Welch Allyn representative who came to our class the first day, so you can see prices: http://www.pamelajeanwhiteley.com/WelchAllyn.jpg ... Granted, I got the 97210-MS kit as a parting gift from my employer, and bought the 5079-125S from Amazon prior to class (although it was a similar price... probably should have just waited and got the stethoscope when they came because I had to go back and buy the peds kit later).

Anyway, I got the otoscope with the better battery, but didn't get the Panoptic ophthalmoscope. Why? Well, I didn't want to pay for it, plus most offices won't have one. I hear you can see better through them, though, then through the typical ophthalmoscope. I think our class was probably 1/2 and 1/2 on who bought it and who didn't.

The accessory kit is good.. with the tuning forks, reflex hammers, etc. I did buy an ear thermometer, though, separate... I hate messing with those slow oral ones.

The only thing I can think of that I bought later was a monofilament (costs like $1 from loma linda bookstore) for foot exams, a pocket eye chart, a penlight (because changing out pieces on your otoscope to use it as a light takes way too long).... that's all I can remember right now. You WILL need those before the year is over too.

Hey you all! I found my old receipt from the Welch Allyn representative who came to our class the first day, so you can see prices: http://www.pamelajeanwhiteley.com/WelchAllyn.jpg ... Granted, I got the 97210-MS kit as a parting gift from my employer, and bought the 5079-125S from Amazon prior to class (although it was a similar price... probably should have just waited and got the stethoscope when they came because I had to go back and buy the peds kit later).

Anyway, I got the otoscope with the better battery, but didn't get the Panoptic ophthalmoscope. Why? Well, I didn't want to pay for it, plus most offices won't have one. I hear you can see better through them, though, then through the typical ophthalmoscope. I think our class was probably 1/2 and 1/2 on who bought it and who didn't.

The accessory kit is good.. with the tuning forks, reflex hammers, etc. I did buy an ear thermometer, though, separate... I hate messing with those slow oral ones.

The only thing I can think of that I bought later was a monofilament (costs like $1 from loma linda bookstore) for foot exams, a pocket eye chart, a penlight (because changing out pieces on your otoscope to use it as a light takes way too long).... that's all I can remember right now. You WILL need those before the year is over too.

Hi Pam,

As always, thank you for all your information. Does it matter what brand of equipment we get? I have seen tuning forks on amazon and reflex hammers for less but I am not sure about their quality. Do you know what type of stethoscope we need? Do you recommend any other brands? I know everyone is in love with littmanns.

Hi Pam,

As always, thank you for all your information. Does it matter what brand of equipment we get? I have seen tuning forks on amazon and reflex hammers for less but I am not sure about their quality. Do you know what type of stethoscope we need? Do you recommend any other brands? I know everyone is in love with littmanns.

Apparently if you get a Littman, the equivalent to these Welch Allyn ones is like a Cardiology III, which is just as expensive. Tuning forks...well, they need to be specific hz. These in the kit are made by prestige medical. There's a 128 hz one to check for vibration... it has weighted ends on it. The other two are strictly for hearing. They are 512 and 1024 hz, also prestige medical.

We will bring our books and equipment to the picnic so you can feel/see the quality and decide what you want to do. You can also look at www.allheart.com , http://www.prestigemedical.com and www.steeles.com (although steele's website is down at this moment) to compare prices. I heard www.starvingmedstudent.com has some cheaper otoscope kits, but really the standard in every office is Welch Allyn, and you will be carrying these things around with you on clinical rotations for the entire clinical year (and Welch Allyn has a warranty where it doesn't matter what happens, they replace it). Be careful about buying pieces and parts, too.... they aren't always compatible. For instance, the insufflator bulb fits on those kits I showed you, but if you have an older Welch Allyn, it requires a different size.

If you work for an office that has a contract with a medical supply company, you can see about purchasing thru them... they may be cheaper on some things. That's how my boss got mine for me... through the medical supply company. A few of my classmates got used or refurbished ones thru their offices.

Reflex hammers.... used to be given away by drug reps. If your doc has a spare one, he will probably give you one.

My advice.... check out all the prices, compare the prices on the exact kits on that list I gave you.... if you only save $20 by buying stuff from lots of different places, don't do it... getting it all from Welch Allyn at the same time (they deliver to the school) is probably cheaper on your time. If however you can save $100-$200 or so, yeah, go for it.

Apparently if you get a Littman, the equivalent to these Welch Allyn ones is like a Cardiology III, which is just as expensive. Tuning forks...well, they need to be specific hz. These in the kit are made by prestige medical. There's a 128 hz one to check for vibration... it has weighted ends on it. The other two are strictly for hearing. They are 512 and 1024 hz, also prestige medical.

We will bring our books and equipment to the picnic so you can feel/see the quality and decide what you want to do. You can also look at www.allheart.com , http://www.prestigemedical.com and www.steeles.com (although steele's website is down at this moment) to compare prices. I heard www.starvingmedstudent.com has some cheaper otoscope kits, but really the standard in every office is Welch Allyn, and you will be carrying these things around with you on clinical rotations for the entire clinical year (and Welch Allyn has a warranty where it doesn't matter what happens, they replace it). Be careful about buying pieces and parts, too.... they aren't always compatible. For instance, the insufflator bulb fits on those kits I showed you, but if you have an older Welch Allyn, it requires a different size.

If you work for an office that has a contract with a medical supply company, you can see about purchasing thru them... they may be cheaper on some things. That's how my boss got mine for me... through the medical supply company. A few of my classmates got used or refurbished ones thru their offices.

Reflex hammers.... used to be given away by drug reps. If your doc has a spare one, he will probably give you one.

My advice.... check out all the prices, compare the prices on the exact kits on that list I gave you.... if you only save $20 by buying stuff from lots of different places, don't do it... getting it all from Welch Allyn at the same time (they deliver to the school) is probably cheaper on your time. If however you can save $100-$200 or so, yeah, go for it.

To all students buying their books,

FYI just as launchbrick said that he got the 6th edition of "The Common Symptom Guide", I also realized that their is most likely a typo on the booklist and it should say the 6th edition and not the 5th edition. The ISBN number given as well as the publication date for this book are for the 6th edition.

Hello. Has anyone looked at the American Databank website yet to find out how to do the background check and drug screening process? The website has several options for the drug screening and I'm not sure which one we are supposed to choose. I am unclear as to whether we do the background check and drug screening before July 15, and then upload our results, or if we cannot do the background check and drug screening until after July 15. Thanks.

Pangea, I did not see anything in the packet on instructions for drug testing. I'm not sure if that means we do not do the drug screening portion of american databank background check or if they will give us further instructions later. I know in pams email to all of us, she stated that this is a new company performing the background checks but maybe she has insight as to whether we have to do it or which test we choose. Also, I'm sure she can let us know if this was a requirement for the previous class. Also I believe the packet says that the website will be accessible on july 15 so we have a couple weeks to get our answer.

Hey everyone,

Had the same question as you Pangea. I called our school today and was informed that we arent able to complete the background or drugtest until after july 15 so sit tight. There will documents to be uploaded and a link provided to us with instructions on what to do. For right now, we should be getting our vaccinations/titers and health examination form completed.

I hope everyones enjoying their summer because I am =)

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Has anyone heard an update about american databank (the company that will do our background check & everything?) I thought we would know by friday but maybe the school is waiting until this week? I called american databank last week & the price of everything, including background checks, immunization tracking, employment history, drug testing, and anything else they do, will be included in a package for $97. Although the person I spoke with had no information that she could provide on how to register or when we will be able to complete everything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Congrats to everyone accepted into the program. I was just wondering if you all know if living in Murrieta is Tier 1 or Tier 2 into the program. I have a long road before even applying but Im looking into everything now. I am thinking of moving to Menifee to be closer to MVC. I am going to do all my pre reqs at MVC also. Any advice for someone starting from scratch would help. Right now, all I have is an associate in business from msjc. Next semester I will be taking the CNA program and Summer starting my bachelors at loma linda university in health care admin while doing the science pre reqs at the junior college. Thank you for your time :)

Archived