Not attending an interview=risky? (BS/MS program)

I graduated with my bachelor's and am around a 3.7 in overall and science gpas. I applied to a program that accepts transfer students (D'Youville) but now I'm starting to see that there are a lot of undergraduate course I would still have to take if I matriculated. I believe it would take me 4 years in total starting in 2019 to graduate and become a PA and many of the loans would be private, totaling around 150k. I started taking my outstanding pre reqs and now think it might be better for me to finish them, take the gre, and apply with more PCE to masters programs next cycle. I know PA programs are competitive, so I don't know if this is going to be a smart risk to take. 

At this time I have less than 200 verifiable volunteer hours and less than 1000 PCE. My main worry is my gpa going down a little over the next year, but I think I can still maintain at least a 3.65 and at least a B in outstanding pre reqs. I don't know who else to ask so if anyone can share their opinions that would be great. Thank you!

As it stands now, you would be pretty competitive for quite a few schools (notwithstanding the prerequisites you still have to complete). Personally, I would just take your prereqs at a community college (or inexpensive state school) and apply next year with more PCE. Time-wise, that option may not be much faster, but you would be able to apply much more broadly, and potentially get into a school that would save you a lot of money in tuition (and your future self will thank you when the student loan bills come). 

You should do whatever you can to get all A's in the courses you still have to take, since it will make you that much more competitive when you do apply; it's not critical to get all A's, but if your prior degree coursework is older, then it goes a long way to proving you still "have what it takes" to do well academically. Besides, it's easier to just get more PCE later if you need to rather than retaking a course you do poorly in. 

There's no harm in interviewing if you can afford to go.  A: you might not get in and this worrying is all for naught.  B: maybe you'll change your mind before then. C : You don't change your mind but now you have one PA school interview under your belt.

Interviewing is not an obligation to attend.

5 hours ago, ProSpectre said:

As it stands now, you would be pretty competitive for quite a few schools (notwithstanding the prerequisites you still have to complete). Personally, I would just take your prereqs at a community college (or inexpensive state school) and apply next year with more PCE. Time-wise, that option may not be much faster, but you would be able to apply much more broadly, and potentially get into a school that would save you a lot of money in tuition (and your future self will thank you when the student loan bills come). 

You should do whatever you can to get all A's in the courses you still have to take, since it will make you that much more competitive when you do apply; it's not critical to get all A's, but if your prior degree coursework is older, then it goes a long way to proving you still "have what it takes" to do well academically. Besides, it's easier to just get more PCE later if you need to rather than retaking a course you do poorly in. 

Thank you. That was my gut feeling too. 

1 hour ago, MT2PA said:

There's no harm in interviewing if you can afford to go.  A: you might not get in and this worrying is all for naught.  B: maybe you'll change your mind before then. C : You don't change your mind but now you have one PA school interview under your belt.

Interviewing is not an obligation to attend.

I have a midterm two days after for one of my upper level courses and I would have to pay for an airplane ticket which is why I wanted to figure this out before hand. But thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate it. 

Archived