PCE vs. HCE

Hi everyone! I just needed help on how to differentiate between PCE and HCE due to my personal experience. I went on CASPA's help page and found this:

PCE: Experiences in which you are directly responsible for a patient's care. For example, prescribing medication, performing procedures, directing a course of treatment, designing a treatment regimen, actively working on patients as a nurse, paramedic, EMT, CNA, phlebotomist, physical therapist, dental hygienist, etc.

HCE: Both paid and unpaid work in a health or health-related field where you are not directly responsible for a patient's care, but may still have patient interaction; for example, filling prescriptions, performing clerical work, delivering patient food, cleaning patients and/or their rooms, administering food or medication, taking vitals or other record keeping information, working as a scribe, CNA (depending on job description), medical assistant, etc

My issue with differentiating my hours is that I have been at my current work site for 9+ years as a medical assistant and I am just not sure how I can calculate my hours between PCE and HCE. In my role, we have plenty of PCE when we perform procedures such as aerosolized medication treatments, ear lavages, assisting the MD/NP with their clinical procedures, administering an ECG and many other tasks with direct patient care. Does anyone have advice on how to do so? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! ? 

Yeah, I was in a similar situation and was told by one of my schools to say PCE in that case. It should be obvious in your description that it was healthcare experience as well. For instance, in a couple of my previous jobs as a tech within the ED and ICU, I would sometimes cover for the unit clerks when needed. But in the end, I'd just categorize it as PCE and then give a good description of your role and responsibilities. PCE is often preferred anyways!

Just depends on what you say you did in the description. If you are actually coming in direct contact and actually playing a role in their care while in the hospital, whether that means taking their vitals, hygiene, glucose checks, IV's, etc, then that is PCE. If you are a unit clerk or something similar and your job consists of like answering the phone, putting together packets for patients leaving by EMS, moving patients on and off your department's floor, etc, then that's HCE. But if your job incorporates both, or your cross trained, then I'd just list it as PCE and have a good description of my responsibilities. 

Archived