Education major getting into PA school?

I am currently a freshman majoring in Kinesiology with the intent to enter PA school following graduation, but the extensive research and experience hours required by many of my top choice schools seems to be too much for what I can handle without taking time off between undergrad and PA school. I am worried that if the PA route turns out to be wrong for me, my Kinesiology major will be pretty useless, as I have no interest other Kinesiology related occupations. I have always had a strong passion for education, and would really like to switch my major to childhood education. As of right now, I think I want to major in education, while also taking all the basic science prerequisite classes for PA school, leaving my career options open for the future. However, I am concerned that PA schools would look negatively at majoring in such a "random" field for PA school if I do decide to apply. Would this major change put me at a great enough disadvantage to PAs schools that you would say it was a bad idea?

When picking a major for PA school the rules are pretty simple: major in whatever interests you, and whatever you think would be a good backup plan in case you change your mind or don't get in. While it may be "easier" (not necessarily academically) to major in something like biology since it includes a lot of the prerequisites for PA school, that doesn't do you any good if you find out senior year that you want nothing to do with medicine. 

There is nothing wrong with majoring in education (or music, or engineering, or history for that matter); just do well in your classes and plan ahead for any extra courses outside of your major that you have to take as prerequisites for PA school, and you'll be good to go. 

One more thing. Don't get caught up in the "rat race" of thinking you have to go directly from undergrad to PA school; that isn't the traditional route, and it is arguably more valuable to have a little time after undergrad to gain experience (both patient care experience and life experience in general). It isn't a race, and starting PA school one or two years later isn't going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things. 

I graduated with a former teacher and the program I teach at now will graduate a former teacher this December, so it can be done.

You got some good advice above; pick a degree you would enjoy working in if the PA route doesn’t pan out and get your patient experience over time before you apply. I didn’t quit my full time non-healthcare related job until just before my PA program began.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived