MD/DO Vs PA Salary after malpractice insurance

Does anyone know the breakdown of MD/DO take home pay after malpractice ins paid? ( Most interested in knowing about Emergency)

I have done my research and know EM Docs make around 170-180k a year. But if they are paying out 40 or 70k in medical malpractice, that isn't too impressive. Especially with experience PAs making on the plus side of 100k.

Emed, you say 1/2 (150k) for PAs? I guess this means working more than regularly scheduled shifts, correct? Does that opportunity present itself often?

For example, you re scheduled 15 10or12hr shifts a month in the ED. Do you often have the opportunity to work 20+ shifts a month to make an additional 2k+ a month(ie $40/hr x 50 hours= 2k)?

CJ, I did not communicate my question very well, apologies. MD/DO that work in the ED pay how much for malpractice ins, on avg? With that number, I wanted to compare to what PAs make.

But Emed already cleared up that most of them do not pay out of pocket for their own malpractice ins.

300k seems pretty high to me. Obviously it varies, but I know in the hospital I work at it is around 170k, 15 10hr shifts per month. ( I did not ask this question to the people I work with because I didn't feel it was appropriate)

er docs in my group make salary+ production = avg $180/hr

pa's make salary + production around $70-80/hr so you can make 150k pretty easily actually if you are reasonably fast. salary range last yr in our group of 15 pa's was 110-200k. the guy at 200k(not me) works a lot of overtime. the avg was probably 150-160 for 160-180 hrs/mo.

I work for a democratic partner owned group, not a hospital. avg national em pa pay 5 yrs out of school is a bit lower at 100-120k/yr.

we pay 6k/yr for pa malpractice and around 20k/yr for md malpractice but it is paid by the group. see below for avg doc and pa/np salaries:

http://www.acep.org/content.aspx?id=45806

http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Features/Articles/National-Salary-Report-2011.aspx

Emed, thanks for the great feedback/links! Good to know there is higher earning potential out there for those willing to grind a little more and perhaps live the single life a little longer ;).

Dondoro, reread Emed's post previous to mine. He stated PAs make half of what physicians make. ( Physician's making 300k. PA's making half of what physicians make. 1/2 of 300k= 150k for PAs, not MD) Probably poorly explained on my part.

Archived