Keeping personal logs for credentialing?

I'm a new PA, just started my first job this summer. I was thinking about staying in this current position for maybe 1-2 years before trying to re-locate, to be closer to family. 

Should I be keeping personal records or logs of the patients I'm seeing, or procedures (i.e. sutures) (obviously without HIPPA information)? I've read that this might be important for credentialing if I try to work at a different hospital. Does it even matter, since my tracking wouldn't be really "official" - just like an excel doc?  

I'd just rather know now so I can start doing this. Thanks!

Not a bad idea, even if it only gives you data for a resume. Also, if you see patients in a hospital, sometimes the hospital wants the MRN of say six patients you saw in the last six months and whether you wrote the H&P, progress note, or the discharge summary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been recommended to keep a log of all of my advanced procedures that I do in EM.  I track it all under the "patient list" feature in epic, with a category of procedures.  It saves mrn, procedure, date performed, etc.  My credentialing team with the hospital wanted us to provide proof that we have performed every procedure at least 2-3 times in the past 2 years, and that is all of the info they would need. 

• Administrator
On 8/24/2018 at 5:47 PM, UGoLong said:

Not a bad idea, even if it only gives you data for a resume. Also, if you see patients in a hospital, sometimes the hospital wants the MRN of say six patients you saw in the last six months and whether you wrote the H&P, progress note, or the discharge summary.

Be careful there... MRN is personal health information under HIPAA.  It's an intensely and violently stupid decision, but it's the law:

https://cphs.berkeley.edu/hipaa/hipaa18.html

20 hours ago, rev ronin said:
Be careful there... MRN is personal health information under HIPAA.  It's an intensely and violently stupid decision, but it's the law:
https://cphs.berkeley.edu/hipaa/hipaa18.html

Maybe so, but that’s what the hospital wants. Clearly you have to protect the indormation until the day you feed it back to the organization who actually created it for the purposes of quality control on their end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived