Need reassurance about my application please

Hello, 

I recently just submitted my applications to some schools and am kind of freaking out and would love some reassurance or honestly the harsh truth on my chances of getting into a school, any school. Here are my stats and where I applied:

College: Just Graduated May 2018 from Miami University with a B.S. in Kinesiology and Health

Overall GPA: 3.43

Science GPA: 3.29 

PCE: I work in home with a 21 year old boy with severe spastic cerebral palsy. I do thinks like administer his medication 5x a day, feed him orally and via g-tube, hygiene, change diapers. toilet him, shower him, transport to medical appointments and PT, transport from bed to wheelchair, etc. (most duties of a CNA) and this is through the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities. Hours: 425

HCE: Worked as a campus ambassador for Gift of Life, Volunteered in a PACU at a hospital, worked with a camper who has diabetes Hours: 300 

Extracurricular: Member of Pre-PA club for 3 years, Service Chair for Pre-PA club for 1 year, Vice President of Diversity for Hillel for 1 year, President of Gift of Life Organization for 1 year 

Volunteer: Blood drives, food pantries etc. Hours: 150 

Shadowing: around 65 hours with various different PA's 

Certification: CNA license, first aid and CPR

Personal Statement: I think is pretty good but not amazing. I worked on it with a PA-C for many drafts. 

GRE: 301 

Schools applied to: Baldwin Wallace,  Hofstra, Lake Erie College, Marietta College, Ohio Dominican, Ohio University, Penn State University,  University of Colorado, University of Mount Union, University of Toledo, Western University of Health Sciences, CUNY school of medicine and Grand Valley State University

Still deciding if I should apply to: University of Findlay and Chatham University

Should I apply to more programs because I don't have the best stats? If so any suggestions on which ones?

Any help or advice would be strongly encouraged!

Thanks so much

Sincerely,

FreakingOUT

cGPA is average and sGPA is below average. Neither are deal breakers by any means, but ideally another part of your application would make up for this. Usually that would be in the form of strong clinical experience.

I would consider your clinical experience on the weaker side and hour counts pretty low. Again, not a deal breaker on its own, but application as a whole doesn't have anything that stands out to me. 

Many programs don't consider home health positions as PCE. I would look into that at the schools you've applied to if you haven't already. Consider getting PCE in a clinical setting, ideally a hospital. I think that would strengthen your application quite a bit. 

I don't know a ton about the programs you're applying to, but did also apply to University of Colorado and know a bit about their program so I will use that as an example. Looking at their class profile, the stats of accepted applicants are as follows:

• Average cumulative GPA: 3.75
  • Average science GPA: 3.71 
  • Median PCE: 1413 hours
  • Median HCE: 440 hours

Overall you're pretty far below the average in each category. That doesn't mean you won't get an interview, but it does mean that you're less competitive for this program. If I were you I would look at the class profiles for the schools you're looking to add on and see if your stats are more in line with their accepted applicants.

Keep working on strengthening that application and find some stronger PCE that will be accepted at all programs. Good luck to you this cycle!

1 hour ago, hmtpnw said:

cGPA is average and sGPA is below average. Neither are deal breakers by any means, but ideally another part of your application would make up for this. Usually that would be in the form of strong clinical experience.

I would consider your clinical experience on the weaker side and hour counts pretty low. Again, not a deal breaker on its own, but application as a whole doesn't have anything that stands out to me. 

Many programs don't consider home health positions as PCE. I would look into that at the schools you've applied to if you haven't already. Consider getting PCE in a clinical setting, ideally a hospital. I think that would strengthen your application quite a bit. 

I don't know a ton about the programs you're applying to, but did also apply to University of Colorado and know a bit about their program so I will use that as an example. Looking at their class profile, the stats of accepted applicants are as follows:

• Average cumulative GPA: 3.75
  • Average science GPA: 3.71 
  • Median PCE: 1413 hours
  • Median HCE: 440 hours

Overall you're pretty far below the average in each category. That doesn't mean you won't get an interview, but it does mean that you're less competitive for this program. If I were you I would look at the class profiles for the schools you're looking to add on and see if your stats are more in line with their accepted applicants.

Keep working on strengthening that application and find some stronger PCE that will be accepted at all programs. Good luck to you this cycle!

Thanks so much for the honesty, I really appreciate it. I had a feeling my PCE wasn't the best option but it was what worked. Do you think I should find stronger PCE even though I already applied to most programs? Would it be worth it? 

8 minutes ago, onedayPA7 said:

Thanks so much for the honesty, I really appreciate it. I had a feeling my PCE wasn't the best option but it was what worked. Do you think I should find stronger PCE even though I already applied to most programs? Would it be worth it? 

If I were you I would certainly reach out to the schools I applied to and confirm they accept this kind of experience. Especially if they had minimums on hour counts. I would want to know if I would be considered or auto rejected. Just for piece of mind.

I would also continue to be optimistic about this cycle but be ready to reapply if need be. Find stronger clinical experience now and start accruing genuine PCE hours. I would not consider what you’ve listed above PCE. It could help you out this cycle and you can update schools about your new position and it will help you out next cycle if you end up needing to reapply. 

Archived