2018-2019 Cycle

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, texas27 said:

Hello! How do you like it ABU? Also, hows living in the area?

It is definitely different than what I expected. The staff is amazing at what they do, and they truly want you to succeed as a healthcare provider. I think the best part of ABU is the group of friends you make with your classmates. The area is definitely small.  The nearest shopping center is about 30 minutes out but in all honestly, you will be SO BUSY that it won't even bother you. In fact, it is kind of nice not having many distractions. For housing, the school gives you a sheet with options of realtors to call. Some people live in townhouses and some people rent houses. I am currently living in a townhouse with 2 other classmates. Best of luck to you! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 7:31 PM, Dancejt12 said:

Hello Everyone! I’m currently a first year PA student at ABU. Feel free to ask me any questions!? Good luck to you all

Hi Dancejt12!

Does AB have a cadaver lab?

What is your favorite part of the school?

Do you have any advice for applicants?

9 hours ago, KatieB said:

Also, has anyone heard anything from AB yet? Looking back on posts from last year, it looks like people were getting interview offers in early August! 

I applied to the program about a week ago. Nicholas Ravagli emailed me letting me know they received my supplemental application and that they " Hope to have your application materials reviewed in the next 2-3 weeks, at which time you will be notified of your updated status" I'm hoping to hear something soon because the suspense has me chewing my literal fingertips off haha. When did you apply?

Hi All,

I was just curious about peoples stats and if you already had an interview, accepted, etc.

I'm kind of nervous about mine.

Overall GPA: 3.5

Science GPA: 3.5

GRE: 300

Patient care: 320 Hours of volunteer phlebotomy (in the morning before going into work full time as a MLS)

healthcare experience: 2000 continuing hours as a Medical Laboratory Scientist in a medical Microbiology lab.

PA shadowing: 50 in preadmission testing. 27 in Neuro Critical Care (Both PA's gave me a LOR)

I would LOVE any response from you guys good or bad haha. My amount of patient care hours are definitely on the lower side but It's hard to squeeze extra hours in when you're already working full time. And of course my GRE could be better, but it beats the 287 I got the first time haha. Sorry for the lengthy post and good luck to you all!

On 8/7/2018 at 5:03 AM, RockM said:

I applied to the program about a week ago. Nicholas Ravagli emailed me letting me know they received my supplemental application and that they " Hope to have your application materials reviewed in the next 2-3 weeks, at which time you will be notified of your updated status" I'm hoping to hear something soon because the suspense has me chewing my literal fingertips off haha. When did you apply?

I applied back in June and he sent me the same email. I haven't heard anything since 

On 8/6/2018 at 7:03 PM, KatieB said:

Hi Dancejt12!

Does AB have a cadaver lab?

What is your favorite part of the school?

Do you have any advice for applicants?

Hello!

AB does have a cadaver lab. We actually just took our last lab test with 12 cadavers that are located in the basement. I would say my favorite part of the school is something that hasn’t even happened yet. Next semester, we are already going to be doing weekly clinicals at nearby hospitals. I do better with hands on experience so I think already getting to see patients before our clinical year is a great way for me to learn personally. My advice to you is something I did for my interviews. I made booklets of pictures of what my application says I have done. For example, I had a picture of my medical internship in a different county. I had another picture of what places I have volunteered at, and more. I like pictures because they show to the people interviewing you what kind of person you are without words on a piece of paper.

Hope this helps, and if any of you have questions, let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Has anyone heard of anything recently? I’m trying to make myself feel better by having this theory that maybe they’ve just been busy since they did just have graduation haha. I submitted about three weeks ago, so maybe im jumping the gun a little...... maybe.. 

Hey everyone! Hopefully, I get to see some of you on Sept. 11th. I have a morning class so depending on when that is done, I'll try to get downstairs and talk with you all before or after your interview (if the interview day set up is the same as my interview from last year). If you all need suggestions on where to stay the day before the interview, hit me up! I can give you various hotels in the area and how far each hotel is from the school. Dress professional, come prepared, be yourself, and don't stress out. Good luck to the first set of interviews!?

I have an interview on Oct 2nd. anyone gonna go on the same date? 

and for anyone that's curious, my stats are

oGPA: 3.7

sGPA: 3.5 

GRE: 311

2000+ experiences working in urgent care clinics. i'm an MA btw. 

no PA shadowing experience though. 

On 8/31/2018 at 11:03 AM, Dancejt12 said:

Hey everyone! Hopefully, I get to see some of you on Sept. 11th. I have a morning class so depending on when that is done, I'll try to get downstairs and talk with you all before or after your interview (if the interview day set up is the same as my interview from last year). If you all need suggestions on where to stay the day before the interview, hit me up! I can give you various hotels in the area and how far each hotel is from the school. Dress professional, come prepared, be yourself, and don't stress out. Good luck to the first set of interviews!?

can  you recommend somes? i tried to look it up but all i could found was tygart lake lodge which was beautiful but 30 mins away. 

and also how is the traffic over there? 

1 minute ago, AnhPhan said:

I have an interview on Oct 2nd. anyone gonna go on the same date? 

and for anyone that's curious, my stats are

oGPA: 3.7

sGPA: 3.5 

GRE: 311

2000+ experiences working in urgent care clinics. i'm an MA btw. 

no PA shadowing experience though. 

can  you recommend somes? i tried to look it up but all i could found was tygart lake lodge which was beautiful but 30 mins away. 

and also how is the traffic over there? 

Hey! I have never heard of anyone staying at the Tygart Lake Lodge. There is a place called the Mountaineer Inn. It's right outside of Philippi's town (about 5 minutes from school). But to be honest, I have never stayed there, so I'm not sure how clean it is. Although it is 30 minutes away, I highly recommend The Hilton Garden Inn in Clarksburg. Usually sports teams that are competing against ABU will stay at this hotel. I have stayed there multiple times when family comes to visit in town. There are other hotels next to it and the majority of them are located near Emily Drive. The area where the Hilton hotel is at also has many stores and restaurants to choose from. Philippi is a very small town, so you get used to have to drive some distance (like to Clarksburg or Bridgeport) ? I'm from Michigan so when I say traffic is not bad, I mean it lol. The most traffic you will probably hit is leaving Emily Drive to get onto highway, but that's it. There are lots of country roads around here. But when in doubt, add an extra 15 minutes to your commute just to be safe.  

Archived