One-year Master's program to increase chances?

Hey, everyone! 

So I submitted my CASPA and supplemental apps early/mid-June to around ~16 programs. I've heard back from 2 and have been rejected already ? For the most part, after reading many forums and seeing other people's stats compared to mine, I really don't think I will get in this cycle. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I am thinking of alternative routes in the case I do not get in this cycle and possibly the next. Something I am considering is going to a one-year master's program that will guarantee me an interview with their PA program and will also help me overall as an applicant. An example of one of these programs is Touro Nevada's MHS Program. 

I plan to apply when the next application opens for their July 2019 beginning class. If I do this program, I would finish in summer of 2020 and would hopefully interview with them and/or other programs. My GPA isn't the best, so I believe this program will also help me in that aspect. Until I would go, I am working to accumulate more PCE hours.

I'm just wondering what other Pre-PA or PA-S students think about this kind of plan. Do you think attending these kinds of programs would make a substantial difference or should I stay as I am and continue to just gain more PCE and take a couple more courses to raise my GPA? Any input would be greatly appreciated ?

*Just to note: I would still apply next cycle (2019-2020) and would attend the MHS program if I don't get any interviews or positive responses. 

Looking back at your other posts I gather your GPA is a 2.97? Yes that will not clear many AdCom filters and unless you have some other very strong components to your application will pose a problem. You'd need to retake any prereqs you don't have an A in to start, and get an A. A MHS would help, but won't totally negate the undergrad GPA from what I understand.

I know someone who did that program at Touro NV. They did it to specifically get accepted to their DO program. She said it was just a waste of money and time. She said there's a disconnect from admissions of DO with the MHS program. She didn't get accepted, but she got a guaranteed interview though. I would assume it's the same with their PA program, but it could be different for their PA pathway. It's just a money maker for Touro. If you don't meet the minimums from undergrad, then you would still get denied, even if you did well in their MHS. I know two others that did part of it and dropped out, very expensive mistake on their part. I would personally do a postbacc with a CC or undergrad over Touro, way cheaper route.

I would take classes strategically to build up your average and demonstrate mastery of advanced subjects. Also increase your patient care experience. I’m not sure you could justify a whole new degree just to maybe get an interview. The juice doesn’t sound worth the squeeze.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for all the input! It's greatly appreciated. I will definitely take all of these responses into consideration. 

Regardless of whether or not I go to the MHS program, I am still planning to take more courses over the next year to increase my GPA (it is my science GPA that is suffering due to bad grades beginning of college) and continue working as EMT-B to increase PCE hours. I also have some things to counter my low science GPA (positive trend in grades, neuropharmacology TA for a senior level neuroscience course, etc.). But still, it will be an uphill battle. I am definitely reconsidering the Touro program after this. 

Archived