New Grad considering psychiatry job

Hello all,

I am nearing the end of PA school and starting to explore the job landscape. I recently finished my psychiatry rotation which was on a consult/liaison psych service and was asked to apply for a job with the service after graduation. I enjoyed the rotation and have been considering it. My concern is what would happen to my medicine skills by starting out in psych. I went to PA school thinking of doing surgery or hospital medicine, and feel that going into psych would be like starting over from scratch in terms of learning about psychiatry (not that I am opposed to learning psychiatry and I seem to have a knack for it.) Would starting off in psychiatry hamper my lateral mobility to other areas of medicine? I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Hello all,

I am nearing the end of PA school and starting to explore the job landscape. I recently finished my psychiatry rotation which was on a consult/liaison psych service and was asked to apply for a job with the service after graduation. I enjoyed the rotation and have been considering it. My concern is what would happen to my medicine skills by starting out in psych. I went to PA school thinking of doing surgery or hospital medicine, and feel that going into psych would be like starting over from scratch in terms of learning about psychiatry (not that I am opposed to learning psychiatry and I seem to have a knack for it.) Would starting off in psychiatry hamper my lateral mobility to other areas of medicine? I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Yes...

Go practice medicine for a while (2-3yrs) then settle into psych.

OR...

Take the psych job and work part time in Primary Care (Urgent/Acute/Chronic/Internal/EM/FP) to hone those hard earned (and paid for) skillz.

Going straight into psych as a new grad isn't a good idea. I know a PA who did this and she knows very little about anything else in medicine.

Yes...

Go practice medicine for a while (2-3yrs) then settle into psych.

OR...

Take the psych job and work part time in Primary Care (Urgent/Acute/Chronic/Internal/EM/FP) to hone those hard earned (and paid for) skillz.

Going straight into psych as a new grad isn't a good idea. I know a PA who did this and she knows very little about anything else in medicine.

Archived