MSK GALAXY- my heels give me bunions but at least my butt looks good

On Saturday, June 30, a physician spoke at the Musculoskeletal Galaxy Conference sponsored by AAPA and AAOS on foot and ankle conditions. He implied that bunions are caused in part by wearing improper shoes, and that women may be more prone to bunion formation because of wearing high heels. He then proceeded to note that he was speaking to a "majority female" audience, and said, "But I am not going to discourage females from wearing heels because it makes your butts look good."

Regardless of the professional nature of this conference, our "majority female" audience deserves an apology for his comment. I sincerely hope the governing board selecting speakers for this event realizes this comment was made and prevents it from happening again. I am here to learn about orthopedic conditions.  I am not here to be subjected to comments about my choices of clothing and my body.

Update:

A short time later, an apology was goven to the group regarding the comment.  The quick response is appreciated. 

Archived