Letters of Rec question

Hi everyone.

This is my first year applying, and I was wondering how much good letters of recommendation can boost your chances of getting an interview/getting in?

My stats are pretty average: 3.3 gpa, 3500 PCE, 313 volunteer hours, 64 shadowing hours, 405 research hours, 186 leadership hours.

My letters of recommendation are from the Dean of my university, a physician who is the chair of the radiation oncology department (where I currently work), another MD/PhD, and my supervisor who also has her PhD. The strength of my application is definitely in my experiences (both academic and personal) and opportunities/connections I've made throughout my undergrad career. I know these letters don't mean everything to an application, I was just curious how much you all think they can affect an application.

Thanks for the advice!

Letters can certainly play a big role in your application. 

Although your letter writers seem to have some clout, this is not necessarily meaningful when trying to evaluate quality. The best letters are from people who know you well, have worked with you extensively, and can speak to who you are and your strengths. Ideally writers should know you for at least a year or more. 

It is great that the dean of your school was willing to write a letter for you, but how well does this person know you? That is a lot more telling when trying to understand how strong these letters will be. 

1 minute ago, hmtpnw said:

Letters can certainly play a big role in your application. 

Although your letter writers seem to have some clout, this is not necessarily meaningful when trying to evaluate quality. The best letters are from people who know you well, have worked with you extensively, and can speak to who you are and your strengths. Ideally writers should know you for at least a year or more. 

It is great that the dean of your school was willing to write a letter for you, but how well does this person know you? That is a lot more telling when trying to understand how strong these letters will be. 

Thank you very much for your response! I have know the Dean since my freshman year of college (I graduated this past May), and we are extremely close. We go to lunch every few months to catch up, he's met my family, and actually referred me to my job in RadOnc. I had a family emergency with my mother my freshman year which is why my gpa is lower than I would like it to be, and he knows all the details about my grades and personal life. I addressed the family emergency/low gpa in my personal statements and had him review it, and he thought I explained myself well.

I have worked with my other three letter writers for the past three years. I am extremely close with my supervisor and the physicians as well, so I was hoping their letters would give me a bit of a boost since I am pretty average in my other experiences.

Like I said, I know these letters don't mean everything, but I feel like everyone has certain strengths in their application, so I was just curious to see how much programs would take that into consideration, being that I feel like my letters/connections are one of my strengths.

51 minutes ago, paPassion7 said:

Thank you very much for your response! I have know the Dean since my freshman year of college (I graduated this past May), and we are extremely close. We go to lunch every few months to catch up, he's met my family, and actually referred me to my job in RadOnc. I had a family emergency with my mother my freshman year which is why my gpa is lower than I would like it to be, and he knows all the details about my grades and personal life. I addressed the family emergency/low gpa in my personal statements and had him review it, and he thought I explained myself well.

I have worked with my other three letter writers for the past three years. I am extremely close with my supervisor and the physicians as well, so I was hoping their letters would give me a bit of a boost since I am pretty average in my other experiences.

Like I said, I know these letters don't mean everything, but I feel like everyone has certain strengths in their application, so I was just curious to see how much programs would take that into consideration, being that I feel like my letters/connections are one of my strengths.

All of this sounds great. I’m sure they’ve written you solid letters then. 

There is no way for anyone to quantify how much of a difference this will make in your application cycle, but strong letters will help you.

Your stats are fine. PCE hours are good. Average GPA, but it shouldn’t keep you from getting some love this cycle. I’m sure you will get a few interviews. Try not to stress and just keep working hard! 

5 minutes ago, hmtpnw said:

All of this sounds great. I’m sure they’ve written you solid letters then. 

There is no way for anyone to quantify how much of a difference this will make in your application cycle, but strong letters will help you.

Your stats are fine. PCE hours are good. Average GPA, but it shouldn’t keep you from getting some love this cycle. I’m sure you will get a few interviews. Try not to stress and just keep working hard! 

I really appreciate your thoughts and advice. Good luck to you this cycle!

2 hours ago, paPassion7 said:

Hi everyone.

This is my first year applying, and I was wondering how much good letters of recommendation can boost your chances of getting an interview/getting in?

My stats are pretty average: 3.3 gpa, 3500 PCE, 313 volunteer hours, 64 shadowing hours, 405 research hours, 186 leadership hours.

My letters of recommendation are from the Dean of my university, a physician who is the chair of the radiation oncology department (where I currently work), another MD/PhD, and my supervisor who also has her PhD. The strength of my application is definitely in my experiences (both academic and personal) and opportunities/connections I've made throughout my undergrad career. I know these letters don't mean everything to an application, I was just curious how much you all think they can affect an application.

Thanks for the advice!

as long as they can speak to your character, work ethic, passion for pt care, etc.  you'll be set.  

Archived