Need Help!

I have a question for all you that wouldn't mind giving me some straightforward information. I'm a white male and I recently graduated from a D-1 school in Texas with a GPA of 3.9 with almost all pre med pre reqs (I used to be pre med) completed. I have a great extra curricular basis as I have been volunteering for over 3 years in various areas (health care, church, and a organization working with individuals who have disabilities) and played football up until I quit after two years due to health/financial reasons. I realize it is late June and wanted to get y'alls input on whether or not I should still try to apply for this cycle? I have NOT taken the GRE, however, I believe with about a months study I could knock it out of the park. I have over 600 hours working at a hospital in various surgery units (PACU, OPS, ect.) and have shadowed both physicians and PA's. IF you think it would be a good idea to apply, even though its not really early this cycle,  could you provide me with a school list that I would be competitive at based on my credentials/experience (also how MANY schools should I apply to??). 

Anything will help! I recently decided that PA would be a better route for me then Med school which is why I'm a little behind for this cycle and could use some helpful tips. 

Go for it. I was pre-med and applied late to three schools, interviewed at two and accepted to two with a lower GPA, a sh*t MCAT that I still included on my CASPA application, and no GRE.  Key is to hone in on programs that fit your demographic, experience, healthcare background, interests, passions.  Unfortunately I don't know enough about each school to offer a list but I WILL suggest exploring inaugural programs that stand a good chance of gaining accreditation.

Make sure you have the correct pre-reqs for PA school though.  I needed to take microbio and developmental psych in addition to my pre-med course work.

17 minutes ago, SephONE said:

Go for it. I was pre-med and applied late to three schools, interviewed at two and accepted to two with a lower GPA, a sh*t MCAT that I still included on my CASPA application, and no GRE.  Key is to hone in on programs that fit your demographic, experience, healthcare background, interests, passions.  Unfortunately I don't know enough about each school to offer a list but I WILL suggest exploring inaugural programs that stand a good chance of gaining accreditation.

Make sure you have the correct pre-reqs for PA school though.  I needed to take microbio and developmental psych in addition to my pre-med course work.

Thanks for the response, I am aware of the few pre reqs I need to finish but I don't have to have them completed until school starts right? Also, I'm a Texas resident so I'm looking primarily at the schools around this area but will branch out to a few if I can stay competitive. 

4 hours ago, ct0502 said:

Thanks for the response, I am aware of the few pre reqs I need to finish but I don't have to have them completed until school starts right? Also, I'm a Texas resident so I'm looking primarily at the schools around this area but will branch out to a few if I can stay competitive. 

In terms of prerequisites, each program has different requirements. The majority of programs only allow one in progress prerequisite at the time of application. Some allow two. Depending on the program, the prerequisites have to be finished by the application deadline, by the end of the calendar year, or by matriculation. 

It terms of choosing programs, you will need to pay attention to clincial requirements. Many schools require 1000 hours at least, others 2000 or more. I recommend researching programs in your area or areas you are interested in living in and seeing if you meet their requirements. I think having recently switched to pursuing the PA profession that it would benefit you to do some research yourself as opposed to having others create a school list for you. 

Apply to 10 - 12 programs if you can afford it. Don’t apply to programs unless you meet the hour and prerequisite requirements, as they will auto reject you. Many schools utilize rolling admissions, so applying late (from your post it seems like you would submit sometime in August?) will put you at a disadvantage. 

Archived