Autobiographical Essay for Supplemental

Hey guys,

For one of the programs I am applying to I have to write an autobiographical essay for the supplemental. They elaborate on this saying that "The autobiographical essay should be an account of the applicant's life history and experiences. Please note that this is not a personal statement or a statement of reasons for applying to PA school."

Great, seems simple enough, but I am struggling with this. The first 10 or so years of my life were kind of dark, and I don't remember a lot due to some negative experiences. I VERY briefly touch on this in my PS (like one sentence) but don't go into detail as I feel like it's not part of who I am today.

I guess my problem is that I don't want to sound like a sob story, but I don't see how I can avoid speaking about my childhood. The other question for this supplemental is about a stressful/difficult experience. For my answer I wrote about the onset of night terrors as an adult which began when I went back to school full time. It is by far the most challenging thing that I've had to deal with over the last 5 or so years, but obviously it is related to my personal history as well. 

I have worked hard regardless of my background to become a solid applicant... I just don't want everything to sound sad or redundant. I might be overthinking this whole thing.

Thoughts, comments or ideas anyone?

Hey guys,
For one of the programs I am applying to I have to write an autobiographical essay for the supplemental. They elaborate on this saying that "The autobiographical essay should be an account of the applicant's life history and experiences. Please note that this is not a personal statement or a statement of reasons for applying to PA school."
Great, seems simple enough, but I am struggling with this. The first 10 or so years of my life were kind of dark, and I don't remember a lot due to some negative experiences. I VERY briefly touch on this in my PS (like one sentence) but don't go into detail as I feel like it's not part of who I am today.
I guess my problem is that I don't want to sound like a sob story, but I don't see how I can avoid speaking about my childhood. The other question for this supplemental is about a stressful/difficult experience. For my answer I wrote about the onset of night terrors as an adult which began when I went back to school full time. It is by far the most challenging thing that I've had to deal with over the last 5 or so years, but obviously it is related to my personal history as well. 
I have worked hard regardless of my background to become a solid applicant... I just don't want everything to sound sad or redundant. I might be overthinking this whole thing.
Thoughts, comments or ideas anyone?

There is no reasons for you to disclose things that you don’t want to.

Tell the story of your life as sanitized as you’d like it to be. That you had some problems to overcome might be good, but only to a depth that you’re comfortable with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, UGoLong said:

There is no reasons for you to disclose things that you don’t want to.

Tell the story of your life as sanitized as you’d like it to be. That you had some problems to overcome might be good, but only to a depth that you’re comfortable with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! 

Archived