Pro's and Con's about working a PA job at night

To all, I have been a PA for over 10 years, mostly in cardiac surgery. I am considering employment in a cardiac surgery ICU but the job is at night ... 3 13 hour shifts 6p-7a. The pay is very good and the extra money would really come in handy. I am comfortable in a cardiac ICU (central lines, manageing respirators, drips, xrays, arrythmias .. etc ...) but I have always worked during the day when there is someone to bounce something off of or review something only a quick phone call away. Now it is 2 am and I am it and something happens, I have to admit, I am a little nervous. The other thing is the toll on the body. Apparently others who work there do say they can get a couple hours of sleep each night, typically, so that helps. Just looking for any one with experience working at night and the pro's (I assume it is a little quieter, pay is better, 3 shifts .. etc) and Cons (I assume, stress, toll on body, working holidays, etc ) Thanks for input

To all, I have been a PA for over 10 years, mostly in cardiac surgery. I am considering employment in a cardiac surgery ICU but the job is at night ... 3 13 hour shifts 6p-7a. The pay is very good and the extra money would really come in handy. I am comfortable in a cardiac ICU (central lines, manageing respirators, drips, xrays, arrythmias .. etc ...) but I have always worked during the day when there is someone to bounce something off of or review something only a quick phone call away. Now it is 2 am and I am it and something happens, I have to admit, I am a little nervous. The other thing is the toll on the body. Apparently others who work there do say they can get a couple hours of sleep each night, typically, so that helps. Just looking for any one with experience working at night and the pro's (I assume it is a little quieter, pay is better, 3 shifts .. etc) and Cons (I assume, stress, toll on body, working holidays, etc ) Thanks for input

I work full time nights. best decision ever. more money for fewer(sicker) pts and the opportunity to get paid to sleep if it's slow. a consult is only a phone call away. no administrators around at night, so it's my rules, my show. for me there is no downside.

I work full time nights. best decision ever. more money for fewer(sicker) pts and the opportunity to get paid to sleep if it's slow. a consult is only a phone call away. no administrators around at night, so it's my rules, my show. for me there is no downside.

I worked night shift as a medic, so not quite the same thing, but I really liked it as I'm more of a "night owl." Pro is that with less people you have more flexibility to do what you want. Con is that when something does happen, it's likely to be serious. Another con is that you'll be sleeping during the day so I found it hard to do things like go to the bank or other activities that aren't available at night.

I worked night shift as a medic, so not quite the same thing, but I really liked it as I'm more of a "night owl." Pro is that with less people you have more flexibility to do what you want. Con is that when something does happen, it's likely to be serious. Another con is that you'll be sleeping during the day so I found it hard to do things like go to the bank or other activities that aren't available at night.

As a former vampire I really would not EVER want to go back to nights on a regular basis if I did not have the option of just staying on a night time routine. When I was lurking in the light of the moon I had the full time responsibility of being a dad to little ones and a husband to a day dweller. Flipping back and forth between night shift at work and day life on my off days was a brute. A couple of months, sure, anyone can do it. 3.5 years of it? I'd rather roll in broken glass covered in salt and rinse off in alcohol.

So my point.... If you can shift your life on a full time basis of a night owl, it will be a lot easier.

As a former vampire I really would not EVER want to go back to nights on a regular basis if I did not have the option of just staying on a night time routine. When I was lurking in the light of the moon I had the full time responsibility of being a dad to little ones and a husband to a day dweller. Flipping back and forth between night shift at work and day life on my off days was a brute. A couple of months, sure, anyone can do it. 3.5 years of it? I'd rather roll in broken glass covered in salt and rinse off in alcohol.

So my point.... If you can shift your life on a full time basis of a night owl, it will be a lot easier.

Archived