BSN to PA..Advice needed!

Hey everybody! I am currently a senior in a BSN program that will be graduating in April 2013, and have recently decided that I would like to be a PA. Throughout college, it has been a struggle for me trying to decide between going the nursing or medical route. Ultimately, I chose nursing, but now that I have done several clinicals, I find myself more interested in what the doctors and PA's are doing in the patient's rooms than what the nurses are doing. I've contacted a few local PA programs, and learned that I have all of the prerequisites besides one biochemistry class (which I can take this summer), and also HCE. One of the schools doesn't require any healthcare experience, and the other requires 500 hours. So the big dilemma is when to apply. The deadline for the school which requires HCE is this December, while the other program's deadline isn't until next March. I have my STNA certification, although nursing school has been time consuming and i've had trouble finding a position that will work around my clinical schedule. Should I try to find a job as a PCT in a hospital this summer while taking my final biochemistry class, and then apply, or wait and work as a nurse for a year before applying? Any insight on my situation would be helpful.

I am also concerned that the prereq classes I have won't be competitive enough. Although they do meet the requirements, I feel as though most other people applying will have taken a year+ of general chem, o chem, and biology as science majors while I just have the minimum requirements as a nursing major.

Decisions, decisions!

Hey everybody! I am currently a senior in a BSN program that will be graduating in April 2013, and have recently decided that I would like to be a PA. Throughout college, it has been a struggle for me trying to decide between going the nursing or medical route. Ultimately, I chose nursing, but now that I have done several clinicals, I find myself more interested in what the doctors and PA's are doing in the patient's rooms than what the nurses are doing. I've contacted a few local PA programs, and learned that I have all of the prerequisites besides one biochemistry class (which I can take this summer), and also HCE. One of the schools doesn't require any healthcare experience, and the other requires 500 hours. So the big dilemma is when to apply. The deadline for the school which requires HCE is this December, while the other program's deadline isn't until next March. I have my STNA certification, although nursing school has been time consuming and i've had trouble finding a position that will work around my clinical schedule. Should I try to find a job as a PCT in a hospital this summer while taking my final biochemistry class, and then apply, or wait and work as a nurse for a year before applying? Any insight on my situation would be helpful.

I am also concerned that the prereq classes I have won't be competitive enough. Although they do meet the requirements, I feel as though most other people applying will have taken a year+ of general chem, o chem, and biology as science majors while I just have the minimum requirements as a nursing major.

Decisions, decisions!

Working for at least a year will make you more competitive and open up more options. It will also allow you to apply immediately when the cycle opens the following year, increasing your chances at many schools. Applying late in the cycle often means competing for fewer seats because some have been filled. Another option is to apply to a few schools in the coming cycle that don't require HCE and just see what happens. You'll gain some insight into the application process at the minimum.

Working for at least a year will make you more competitive and open up more options. It will also allow you to apply immediately when the cycle opens the following year, increasing your chances at many schools. Applying late in the cycle often means competing for fewer seats because some have been filled. Another option is to apply to a few schools in the coming cycle that don't require HCE and just see what happens. You'll gain some insight into the application process at the minimum.

Mmm.. on one hand, you can work as a PCT this summer and go ahead and apply, but then you are only applying to what, 2 schools? And you would be applying late in the cycle. There's a small chance you'd get in. What's your GPA?

On the other hand, you can work as an RN for a year and then apply. You'd be much more competitive there.

If your GPA is above a 3.7 and you have the money to burn on applying + GRE, you can go for it. But if your GPA is not that high you are at risk of not looking too competitive since you're lacking HCE. Remember, even if it only requires 500 or 0 hours, you are going against many applicants that have 500+ hours nevertheless. Best of luck either way you go.

Mmm.. on one hand, you can work as a PCT this summer and go ahead and apply, but then you are only applying to what, 2 schools? And you would be applying late in the cycle. There's a small chance you'd get in. What's your GPA?

On the other hand, you can work as an RN for a year and then apply. You'd be much more competitive there.

If your GPA is above a 3.7 and you have the money to burn on applying + GRE, you can go for it. But if your GPA is not that high you are at risk of not looking too competitive since you're lacking HCE. Remember, even if it only requires 500 or 0 hours, you are going against many applicants that have 500+ hours nevertheless. Best of luck either way you go.

I would chose to work for a year if I were you. I'm currently taking a year off between undergrad and PA school to work. It was nice applying/interviewing while being out of school (less stressful) plus I will have managed to save about 20K that I will have during school for personal expenses, freeing up guilt of using loan money on anything other than essentials. Hopefully you'd be in a similar position.

I would chose to work for a year if I were you. I'm currently taking a year off between undergrad and PA school to work. It was nice applying/interviewing while being out of school (less stressful) plus I will have managed to save about 20K that I will have during school for personal expenses, freeing up guilt of using loan money on anything other than essentials. Hopefully you'd be in a similar position.

I agree with taking the year to work and then apply. That year of experience will only help you become a more competitive applicant and also to start honing your clinical skills, which will set you above the bar during clinical rotations in PA school. It would also give you some leisurely time to prepare for PA school. My 2 cents.

I agree with taking the year to work and then apply. That year of experience will only help you become a more competitive applicant and also to start honing your clinical skills, which will set you above the bar during clinical rotations in PA school. It would also give you some leisurely time to prepare for PA school. My 2 cents.

Archived