PA Schools w/ least pre recs needed

Hello,

I’m switching careers out of business into medicine. I’m curious if anyone knows of PA schools which require the fewest prerequisite’s to attend. I Already have a bachelors degree in business. I’m trying to make the transition as quick as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I’m switching careers out of business into medicine. I’m curious if anyone knows of PA schools which require the fewest prerequisite’s to attend. I Already have a bachelors degree in business. I’m trying to make the transition as quick as possible.

Your previous degree is non-medical (as was mine). If you have minimal experience AND minimal prereqs, I don’t see an easy path for you getting admitted unless there is a bunch you’ve not told us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's no short cut in medicine because you'll have a patients life in your hands so pa school acceptance will require lots of healthcare experience and protecting your prerequiste gpa... 

There's a school in southern California scshs  that will allow you to finish each prerequisite in one month, but i wouldn't recommend it cause it's pretty important to protect your GPA and each class is $2k.

All pa schools will require you take

Anatomy

Physiology

Microbiology

And chemistry ranging from intro to chemistry, general chemistry 1 and 2 

Medical terminology, Spanish highly recommended but optional

Its a good idea to take organic chemistry 1, 2 and even biochemistry to show your academic strength 

Ive made the transition from business into medicine 4 years ago, its a lot of sacrifice and suffering. Have a plan b and the number one thing you can do is research the schools. 

Try this book

The Applicant's Manual of Physician Assistant Programs https://www.amazon.com/dp/1976073847/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bpcbBbM2JTT44

There's no short cut in medicine because you'll have a patients life in your hands so pa school acceptance will require lots of healthcare experience and protecting your prerequiste gpa... 
There's a school in southern California scshs  that will allow you to finish each prerequisite in one month, but i wouldn't recommend it cause it's pretty important to protect your GPA and each class is $2k.
All pa schools will require you take
Anatomy
Physiology
Microbiology
And chemistry ranging from intro to chemistry, general chemistry 1 and 2 
Medical terminology, Spanish highly recommended but optional
Its a good idea to take organic chemistry 1, 2 and even biochemistry to show your academic strength 
Ive made the transition from business into medicine 4 years ago, its a lot of sacrifice and suffering. Have a plan b and the number one thing you can do is research the schools. 
Try this book
The Applicant's Manual of Physician Assistant Programs https://www.amazon.com/dp/1976073847/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bpcbBbM2JTT44

Great advice, thank you. How long did it take you to do all of the pre requisites before going to PA school. I’m all in on this idea so my plan is to get a ton of HCE while doing all of the pre-requisites. And thanks for the input on that school that helps you get to things done in a month (even if I don’t use it) I like in SoCal so it could be an option.

I made a career change also, so I had my BA but none of the prereqs and no PCE. It took me exactly 2 years from starting prereqs to applying to/getting accepted to PA schools. That included all prereqs, a full-time surgical tech program, and working as a surgical tech. I absolutely would not have been able to do it in any less than two years. The majority of the prereqs you'll have to take in sequence (ex: you can't take microbio until you take at least one general bio first, same with anatomy/physiology, same with the general chem series, and usually you can't take organic or biochem until you've completed 2 or 3 gen chem, etc. etc.). Taking all the prereqs while working toward gaining PCE is difficult but doable. I chose to do the surgical tech program, but there are faster ways to get a certification and start gaining PCE hours. You're looking at this taking at minimum two years before you're ready to apply, and I would say that's true for schools with "minimum" prereqs. Nobody can give you an exhaustive list of which programs accept fewer prereqs than others, that's research you need to do on your own. This is a good place to start: http://paprogramsearch.com/  You'll also notice that while some programs have fewer required courses, all of them have a long list of "strongly recommended" courses, so while you can apply with the basic requirements, the majority of applicants are applying with some/all of the recommended courses as well. 

7 hours ago, JGladd said:

Great advice, thank you. How long did it take you to do all of the pre requisites before going to PA school. I’m all in on this idea so my plan is to get a ton of HCE while doing all of the pre-requisites. And thanks for the input on that school that helps you get to things done in a month (even if I don’t use it) I like in SoCal so it could be an option.

I placed into general chemistry 101 (math requirement is intermediate algebra) because i had calculus from undergrad so didn't have to waste time in remedial intro to chemistry or beginning chemistry which doesn't transfer to professional school anyway... It's just a prerequisite to 102, oc1. Most community colleges require intro to bio before  enrolling into microbiology, but if you could try to find a community college that will allow you to just enroll straight into general biology 1 as some pa schools want a year of that as well. Take the chemistry challenge exam and don't let a counselor make you take a class you don't need.

The more prereqs you have The more schools you qualify to apply to with a non science background. With 800 to 4,000 applicants per school, 100 to 400 interviewed for 23 to 97 spots you gotta do everything to work in your favor. 

It's a long battle of constant classes ( currently taking oc2 just to be competitive and challenge myself for my 3rd cycle of applications)  

Wish you well in accumulating a ton of hce all while earning top grades in your prereqs! 

The quickest path you would take is this way: 

You probably have already with your BS in Business: College Algebra, Stats, Psy 101, Eng 1/2, Soc 101 (maybe)

Summer term 1: Biol 1/Lab, Chem 1/Lab

Summer term 2: Biol 2/Lab, Chem 2/Lab, A&P 1/Lab (if you think you can handle it, need Biol 1 completed to take)

Fall: Ochem 1/Lab,  A&P 2/Lab

Spring: Ochem 2/Lab, Micro/Lab 

Summer 2019: Biochem 1 and Med Term (Summer term 1), Apply Summer Term 2

Or apply Summer Term 1 if you don't need to take Biochem

or a little bit easier schedule

Summer: Bio 1/Lab, Chem 1/Lab, Med Term (Not all schools require it)

Fall: Bio 2/Lab, Chem 2/Lab, A&P 1/Lab 

Spring: Ochem 1/Lab, A&P 2/Lab, Micro/Lab

Summer 2019: Ochem 2/Lab if needed, or take Biochem 1 (if school only needs Ochem 1 to take)

It's possible to go those routes in one year and get decent grades. Some schools (not a lot) will take labs that are done online, but all schools will take labs done in person. You can probably petition to move some classes up and have a fuller schedule, but it may be denied since you're not a science major. 

I made a career change also, so I had my BA but none of the prereqs and no PCE. It took me exactly 2 years from starting prereqs to applying to/getting accepted to PA schools. That included all prereqs, a full-time surgical tech program, and working as a surgical tech. I absolutely would not have been able to do it in any less than two years. The majority of the prereqs you'll have to take in sequence (ex: you can't take microbio until you take at least one general bio first, same with anatomy/physiology, same with the general chem series, and usually you can't take organic or biochem until you've completed 2 or 3 gen chem, etc. etc.). Taking all the prereqs while working toward gaining PCE is difficult but doable. I chose to do the surgical tech program, but there are faster ways to get a certification and start gaining PCE hours. You're looking at this taking at minimum two years before you're ready to apply, and I would say that's true for schools with "minimum" prereqs. Nobody can give you an exhaustive list of which programs accept fewer prereqs than others, that's research you need to do on your own. This is a good place to start: http://paprogramsearch.com/  You'll also notice that while some programs have fewer required courses, all of them have a long list of "strongly recommended" courses, so while you can apply with the basic requirements, the majority of applicants are applying with some/all of the recommended courses as well. 

How long did your surgical tech program take and if you were to go back and do it again would you or would you choose something else? I was thinking this could be a good direction for me as well to get the PCE to make me stronger since I have a non science undergrad. Also it pays more than a CNA which is a big consideration.

The quickest path you would take is this way: 
You probably have already with your BS in Business: College Algebra, Stats, Psy 101, Eng 1/2, Soc 101 (maybe)

Summer term 1: Biol 1/Lab, Chem 1/Lab
Summer term 2: Biol 2/Lab, Chem 2/Lab, A&P 1/Lab (if you think you can handle it, need Biol 1 completed to take)
Fall: Ochem 1/Lab,  A&P 2/Lab
Spring: Ochem 2/Lab, Micro/Lab 
Summer 2019: Biochem 1 and Med Term (Summer term 1), Apply Summer Term 2
Or apply Summer Term 1 if you don't need to take Biochem

or a little bit easier schedule

Summer: Bio 1/Lab, Chem 1/Lab, Med Term (Not all schools require it)
Fall: Bio 2/Lab, Chem 2/Lab, A&P 1/Lab 
Spring: Ochem 1/Lab, A&P 2/Lab, Micro/Lab
Summer 2019: Ochem 2/Lab if needed, or take Biochem 1 (if school only needs Ochem 1 to take)

It's possible to go those routes in one year and get decent grades. Some schools (not a lot) will take labs that are done online, but all schools will take labs done in person. You can probably petition to move some classes up and have a fuller schedule, but it may be denied since you're not a science major. 

This is great advice thanks so much. Thank you for taking so much time to break it down for me.

Archived