Looking for help on my PS!!

Please take a look at my PS!! would appreciate any advise as this is my first time applying!! thank you!!

I believe that humanity is here for a reason and each with a purpose to fulfill. Mark Twain stated that “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” There are many passions that contribute to each person’s purpose. It could be a person who inspired you, a faith you have, a subject you are interested in, or helping to heal people. Finding out your “why” is a rewarding quest each person must undertake. When I reflect over mine, I could not think of any other way to fulfill my purpose than to become a physician assistant (PA).

Since my decision to pursue higher education, I began a long journey to discovering who I want to be. I started at Virginia Tech knowing that I wanted to do something in the healthcare field, but I did not know the vast number of options available to choose from. Hence, I began with a major in the general biosciences, which I had grown to love throughout high school. The first year in university was a large adjustment and quite challenging, but with a new sense of perseverance I molded myself into my best version through the subsequent years. An encounter with a guest speaking PA who I delved into what their career entailed helped affirm my decision to follow the same path. As a result, I have since tailored my major to a human based health science, which ignited a new passion in me.

Many have questioned me when I stated my passion of becoming a PA rather than pursing medicine. My devotion to be a PA steams around the fact that I want to be able to give back to the same community that has taken care of me by providing health care services to underserved populations, yet I have no desire of committing to another 6-8 years of medical education. As a PA I will be practicing a similar type of work that I am passionate about, but I will be working alongside the physician with a common goal. This means that I will not have to solely bare the responsibly of the patients care plan, yet I rather work collaboration with other team members achieve the best health care plan for the patient. I also appreciate the level of flexibility a PA has. PAs have the convenience of being able to switch their specialties as their interests vary. For example, since there is not a need for an additional certification there would be a smooth transition in switching from OB/GYN to Family Practice. Overall, my goal is to be able to focus on the betterment patients by collaborating with others to diagnose patients, improve outcomes, promote health, and prevent diseases. With all these factors in mind I could not think of a better path than to become a PA. 

To be successful in pursuing this career, I worked as a medical assistant at a local OB/GYN office. There were many things I learned through this work, but most importantly I learned to to work effectively on a team, as well as accept the constructive criticism the team provided me. This experience has also taught me useful interpersonal skills used to interact with patients. I was able to connect with patients more personally without the time constraints that other medical professionals may face. Every patient comes from a different cultural, social, and/or medical background, and with that knowledge in mind I could alter their encounter to further benefit their quality of care. I also gained skills to apply medical knowledge, be conscientious, be honest, and to uphold the medical code of ethics. Working at an OB/GYN office the last four months has generated a new passion in me towards a focus in women’s health when I become a PA. I have felt a more personal connection with this demographic. I have been able to ease the minds of pregnant women as I drew their bloodwork to repeat inconclusive genetic tests. I have comforted women who have gone through pregnancy loses or miscarried. I have also consoled women who contracted STIs through no fault of their own, to stay strong and follow the treatment protocol with compliance. I could not have been successful without the team that advised and supported me, which is why I look forward to applying and sharing some of these experiences as I rise through the ranks and become a PA.

All my life experiences have inspired me to realize the great potential of becoming a PA with a focus in obstetrics & gynecology. If given the opportunity to pursue this honorable profession, I will use my knowledge to address gynecological issues that can help save women’s lives. Whether it be curing an infection that could lead to infertility, performing pap smears to inspect for cervical cancer, or ordering mammograms for breast cancer screenings, performing routine prenatal checks to provide women with safe deliveries and healthy babies A woman’s body can endure miraculous processes therefore they must be cared for meticulously. With my willingness to learn and sense of perseverance, I strongly believe I can make a positive difference when I become a PA in the future.

I would really recommend not talking about wanting to be a PA because it won't require "another 6-8 years of medical education" ...that will not be received well at all by adcoms for multiple reasons... You talk about collaborating with a physician--focus on that part. Why does that speak to you? Do you enjoy teamwork and have experience working as part of a team? That is what you want to be highlighting in your personal statement. I would also eliminate the word convenience from your vocabulary in this essay. "PAs have the convenience..." PAs can indeed switch between specialties, but I would not say it's convenient. Good luck with your PS and application! 

This isn’t a bad personal statement, but it’s not the best. You need to tell a story with your PS, not just basically tell them why. Give them specific instances that have drawn you closer to the profession. Grab the reader with your story and then when you finish, tell them why you want to be a pa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, ajgAK said:

I would really recommend not talking about wanting to be a PA because it won't require "another 6-8 years of medical education" ...that will not be received well at all by adcoms for multiple reasons... You talk about collaborating with a physician--focus on that part. Why does that speak to you? Do you enjoy teamwork and have experience working as part of a team? That is what you want to be highlighting in your personal statement. I would also eliminate the word convenience from your vocabulary in this essay. "PAs have the convenience..." PAs can indeed switch between specialties, but I would not say it's convenient. Good luck with your PS and application! 

Thank you so much for the feedback!! I really get where you are going so i will make the adjustments!

5 hours ago, Bf555 said:

This isn’t a bad personal statement, but it’s not the best. You need to tell a story with your PS, not just basically tell them why. Give them specific instances that have drawn you closer to the profession. Grab the reader with your story and then when you finish, tell them why you want to be a pa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, ChristineQLe said:

Give this a positive spin, "as a pa I would love to be able to give back immediately after my training at your institution " etc you get the jist

I really appreciate the critiques guys!! I will make some changes and upload another version!! Thanks so much!!

Archived