Great Stats but very low shadowing hours

Hi all, 

I'm applying to PA school this cycle, and I feel as though my stats are good, except for my very low shadowing hours. here they are.. 

GPA: ~3.82

sGPA: should be ~3.76

PCE: pretty much exactly 2000 hours as an EMT (doing 911 and transfers) by time I submit Caspa (if schools do project hours then probably more around 2400)

Extracurriculars: Anatomy 1 tutor, study group leader for my biology class

Volunteering: 30 hours total working with underprivileged middle schoolers with science and math workshops in an after school program, 70 hours during a full academic year volunteering at a rehab clinic near schools and 20 hours volunteering to package non-profit medical supplies to be shipped over to impoverished countries

Rec letters: EMT supervisor, 2 professors 

GRE: taking in a week...not that good at standardized tests so I'm expecting a very average score 

Awards: Graduated from the honors college at my university, got cum laude latin honors (must have GPA range of 3.65 to 3.84), and have been awarded deans list during every semester of undergrad

Shadowing: only have 5 hours shadowing a radiology PA. I've been trying to get more but it seems as though no one will answer my emails...I've talked about the role of a PA and incorporated it well into my personal statement. I know I know the role of a PA, but I'm afraid schools are really going to see having only 5 hours as a pretty big disadvantage as it seems so many people have more like 50 hours.

Guest blee100

I'm not sure how adcoms will react to this but ill let someone else answer that part

I have some advice that I've used time and time again to get100 hours from 4 different PAs. I suggest you make a professional letter discussing your interest in shadowing and your complete understanding of HIPAA. Now Monday morning wake up early and arrive at an office of your choice the minute the doors opens( IN PROFESSIONAL ATTIRE). Most likely patients won't be there. Talk to the front desk staff about your letter and ask if you can see if it possible to speak to the PA (Most of the time they do not have time) so then you say Is it possible you can give this letter to the PA when they arrive. (Btw on the bottom of the letter attach your email and phone number) Every Office I've done this at the PA or office manager usually responds that same day.

I think the number of shadowing hours needed can be dependent upon your clinical experience. The idea of shadowing is to ensure that the applicant understands the PA profession, so if you don't regularly work with PAs and providers then shadowing hours will be more important. For example, if you have worked as an RN and regularly interact with PAs, shadowing hours are lower priority. If, like you, clinical experience is mostly prehospital care it's definitely more important.

Look into hospital volunteering. Many hospitals have shadowing programs for their volunteers and you can shadow providers after you've done orientation and been HIPAAed. You have to commit to 100 hours of volunteering over the course of a year, which is doable for most people. This may also be a good way to network, meet providers, or connect with people that know providers. 

Archived