Contract 1 year renogotiation

Hello all, 

I hit my year mark as a cardio PA in SoCal. I was offered a 5% raise and extra vacation time. Looking back and reading some of the posts here I think I may have failed to ask for some important things. Any help would be appreciated. We have made several work adjustments and the doc is quite open to conversation so I think I could make some improvements to the contract. 

Current contract: private practice cardiology office, only practitioner besides the doc

• 3 weeks vacation (+1 week this year)
  • Salary paid bi-weekly (with 5% raise this year)
  • no healthcare ( I am under my spouse's insurance)
  • no retirement 
  • 4 1/2 days a week 9am-5pm, 9-12 on half day
  • No call, rounding or after hours work 
  • $2500 CME  (no days off included with this)
  • Credentialing and licenses covered 

I am happy at this job, but I have been reading that I could make changes to my salary to compensate for the lack of healthcare and retirement expenses. Thanks for your input. 

3 hours ago, PA324 said:

Sure, it was 95k starting, now 99k with the 5%.

Wow, salary seems reallllly low, especially in Socal. No health insurance usually means more money for you in healthcare groups, not sure how that plays out in private practice. Maybe you should ask for RVU production bonus? Ask what you brought in this past year for the practice. Sure there is a learning curve but after a year you will be making that practice beaucoup money and your salary should be more reflective of that.

Job is only 35 hours per week, 3 (now 4) weeks PTO, and no call/weekends, which is great for new grad. Now let's use roughly 1820 hours per year, which roughly equates to $52/hour. That's more like $108k when compared to a full-time 40 gig ($113k for your second year). Not too bad when using relative terms. However, I'm sure others can provide better insight on new grad salaries and COL comparison for SoCal.

Try to negotiate for compensation for deferred health insurance but something to think about: in the unfortunate event you are dropped off yours spouse's and now try to enroll, they could try to take the compensation away. Not sure how if or how often that happens. Just throwing it out there. 

No retirement with that salary!? Bad.

Let's say 401k is 3% and insurance is $500/month: $3k + $6k. You should be making more like $104k not $95k.

So instead of $99k, it should be more like $108k. (Once again, I'm not familiar with SoCal COL and if this is commiserate with how high it truly is.)

Archived